The School of Business presented the Graduate Certificate in Ethical Leadership to eleven recipients on February 27. Picture above left to right: Walter Ward, Roderick Gordon, Kyle Bone, Teleesa Payne, Nekeyia Hogsette, Frank Olson, Linda Woods, Jacquelyn Holt, Rachel Hart, LaTonya Bufford, and Matthew Woods Jr.
• Linda Ann Moore, wife of Billy Moore (retired director of CBU Physical Plant) and mother of Donna Freeman (Advancement Office), passed away on February 27. Please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers. The family requests that any memorials be made to CBU. Condolences may be sent to Donna at Campus Box 104.
• Marjorie Liebman, renowned Memphis artist and friend of CBU, died February 24 at Methodist University Hospital. Please keep her family in your thoughts and prayers.
"BROADWAY ON PARKWAY" AUDITIONS
The CBU Theater department will be holding auditions for "Broadway on Parkway" on March 18 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. "Broadway on Parkway" will be staged on April 13-15 in Spain Auditorium. The show will consist of medleys from Les Miserables and The Phantom of the Opera performed by the CB Singers, as well as scenes and songs from Wicked and Dreamgirls to be performed by those who are selected at the audition. The auditions will be for solos, duets, and small groups. Anyone interested in anything related to the production is encouraged to attend the auditions. This includes set design, acting, technical, costume, make-up, etc. There will also be a night class starting after spring break to work on the production. The class will be held Saturday and Sunday evenings, 5:30-7:30 p.m., starting March 17 in Spain Auditorium. It is not required that those in the class perform in the show, but the class will be a requirement to be in the show. If you have any questions please contact Russell Brandon at email@example.com or (731) 460-1096 for any information.
MARCH TWILIGHT RETREAT
The March Twilight Retreat will be held in the East Lounge of the Thomas Center on Thursday, March 15, beginning at 6:30 p.m. and ending at 8:15 p.m. Father David Knight will build on the first lecture, "The Five Pillars of Islam and Our Christian Faith." He will continue to develop the five things required to be a good Muslim, a good Christian, and a good Jew. For more information, call (901) 357-6662. more>>
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN BEING A PEER COUNSELOR?
Any interested freshman, sophomore, or junior who has leadership abilities, is service-oriented, highly motivated, school-spirited, and has a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 is encouraged to apply for a Peer Counselor position for the 2007-2008 academic year. Applications will be available in the Counseling Center March 12-21 and must be returned to the Counseling Center by March 21. Note: If you would like more information about the Peer Counselor Program, you are invited to attend a Peer Counselor Informational Meeting on Tuesday, March 13, 12:30-1:00 p.m. in the Thomas Center Conference Room.
LASALLIAN AMBASSADORS NEED YOU!
The Office of Admissions will be hosting an information session for all students interested in becoming Lasallian Ambassadors on Tuesday, March 13, at 4:30 p.m. in the Thomas Center Conference Room. Ambassadors assist the Admissions Office with recruiting events and give campus tours to future students and families. If you cannot make the meeting but are still interested, please stop by the Admissions Office and speak to either Betsy Loe (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Brad Romig (email@example.com). We hope to see you there!
CAREER CENTER EVENTS
• Practice Tests (GRE, GMAT, LSAT & MCAT): Tuesday & Wednesday, March 20 & 21; 1:00 pm each day, Kenrick Hall
• Professional Image Workshop: Thursday, March 22; 1:00 pm, Buckman 112
• Business & Arts Job Fair: Thursday, March 29; 11:00 to 1:30, East Lounge
• Behavioral Interviewing Workshop: Thursday, April 12; 1:00 pm, Buckman 211
• Negotiating Salary Workshop: Thursday, April 19; 1:00 pm, Buckman 211
COLLEGE NIGHT AT THE GRIZZLIES
Enjoy an amazing night of NBA basketball with the Memphis Grizzlies at FedExForum on March 22! Individuals can get group rate prices for a ticket to see the Grizzlies vs. L.A. Lakers -- along with a food voucher for a hot dog and Pepsi. After the game head on over to Beale Street, and stop into the Superior Bar/Restaurant -- show your ticket stub and help yourself to complimentary finger food (while supplies last). Click here to download ticket info, then contact Robert Salek at 205-1463 or RSalek@grizzlies.com to place your order.
The School of Engineering hosted a one-day Medical-Device Packaging Workshop on March 6. The workshop was funded by the Medtronic Foundation and co-hosted by the Institute of Packaging Professionals (Mid-South Chapter). Speakers were from Plastic Ingenuity, Smith & Nephew, Wright Medical, FedEx, and CBU. Twenty participants were from various companies including Smith & Nephew, Wright Medical, Bryce Corp, and Schering-Plough. More photos and information can be found online. Other packaging activities can found at www.cbu.edu/engineering/packaging.
• Coach Mike Nienaber (Men's Basketball) was named the Gulf South Conference West Division Coach of the Year. He earned his first-ever Coach of the Year award for leading the Bucs to a 21-6 record and a second-place finish with a 10-4 mark in GSC West play.
• Dr. Bevalee Pray (Director, Graduate Business Programs) participated in the Council of Independent Colleges symposium on "Business and the Liberal Arts: Integrating Professional Liberal Education," held in Chicago on May 3-5. This symposium is the second in a series convened by CIC with generous support from the James S. Kemper Foundation. Dr. Pray was one of 24 participants selected from a very competitive and compelling field of nominations, and presented information on CBU's Certificate in Ethical Leadership and Master of Arts in Executive Leadership.
• Buccaneer point guard Kyle Couvion (Business '10) was named GSC West Division Co-Freshman of the Year (with Delta State's Chad Atkins). Couvion marks CBU's third straight Freshman of the Year winner.
• Congratulations to the following students who have been chosen to represent CBU in Who's Who among American Universities and Colleges: Karen Brandon, Andrea Bordwell, Emily Daniel, Krista Gyarmati, Matt Harrell, Lauren Hearn, Siamak Keyvani, Sarah Smith, and Aleesha White.
• Four CBU students will attend the Alpha Chi National Convention in San Antonio, March 15-17, along with Dr. Malinda Fitzgerald (Biology). Three students will make presentations: Sana Mujahid (Biology '07) on "Characterization of Lysophosphatidic Acid 3 Receptor Using Computationally Guided Site-directed Mutagenesis," Sheharyar Minhas (Biology '07) on "Incorporation of HA into H5N1 Vaccine Virus is Independent of Matrix Gene Origin" (he has entered this presentation for the Benedict scholarship competition), and Ashley Prevost (Chemical Engineering '07) on "CpG Island Methylation in Prostate Cancer Cell Line." Jennifer Aldrich (Business '08) will attend as the voting member and the junior class representative.
• Lady Buc pitcher Nikki Dunn (Psychology '09) was named the Gulf South Conference West Division Pitcher of the Week for two consecutive weeks, for the periods ending February 26 and March 7. At award time, Dunn was 4-1 on the season with an 0.52 ERA
• Buccaneer forward Kevin Weybright (Business '08) was named to the Daktronics All-South Region Second Team by the region's Sports Information Directors.
He was previously named to the All-GSC West Division First Team for the second straight year after averaging 20.1 points and 6.6 rebounds. Center Nick Kohs (Business '09) was named to the All-GSC West Division Second Team after averaging 12.4 points, 8.7 rebounds, 3.8 assists, and 1.6 blocks per game.
STUDENT ORGANIZATION NEWS & EVENTS
• Delta Sigma Pi is also having a Krispy Kreme Doughnut Fundraiser through Monday, March 12. It will be only pre-sales of a dozen doughnuts for $5. Delta Sigma Pi will give them out on Thursday, March 15, in the Buckman Hall lobby from 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. to those who pre-ordered. Please contact a brother of Delta Sigma Pi, or president Burton Bridges at firstname.lastname@example.org, to buy a box and support the organization during its centennial year.
• The men of Sigma Alpha Epsilon would like to congratulate their newly initiated members into the TN Rho chapter.
ORDER YOUR CLASS RING
The Jostens representative will be available and taking orders for class rings in the CBU Bookstore on March 12-13, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 4:30-6:00 p.m. both days. Prices start at $239. Click here for more information or to order and design your ring online.
GRANTS MANAGEMENT UPDATE
The Grants Management website on the CBU intranet has been updated to better serve faculty and staff who are interested in applying for federal grants. Currently, the site has a sampling of federal grant databases and applications, but will soon include quarterly listings of private foundation grant competitions. This site can be accessed from the CBU intranet at this link. Once this page is opened, click on Research Support Links located on the left bar. At this site, you can also find information about CBU's grant policies and procedures, the grant approval form, and on research and development projects. For more information, contact Lisa Bell, Director of Grants Management, at 321-4299.
SPEAKERS ON CAREERS IN ACCOUNTING & FINANCE
The CBU community is invited to sit in on presentations by guest speakers for the spring course in "Careers in Accounting and Finance" (ACCT300/FIN300), which meets on Tuesday afternoons at 12:45 p.m. in Buckman 112. (Warning: It may be SRO.) The remaining schedule for guest speakers is as follows: Ross Harris, CFA, CPA (executive vice president of AIMS Logistics) on March 13; Steve Sansom (senior managing director and founder of Green Square Capital) on March 20; Brett Johnson, CPA (senior manager at Deloitte & Touche) on March 27; Craig Wiener (senior vice president at Wunderlich Securities) on April 3; Christopher M. Kelley (executive director of Barret School of Banking) on April 10; and Philip D. Babin (Thompson Dunavant PLC) on April 17. For more information, contact Dr. Lynn Kugele at 321-4222 or email@example.com.
ART EXHIBITION: MURRAY RISS PHOTOGRAPHY
An exhibition of "Painted Portraits" by photographer Murray Riss will open in the Beverly & Sam Ross Gallery (lower level of Plough Library) on Friday, March 16, with a public reception, 5:30-7:30 p.m. The exhibition will be on display through May 12. Riss established the photography department at the Memphis College of Art and taught there from 1968 to 1986. He was an adjunct lecturer in photography and film at Rhodes College from 1971 to 1986. He is currently a professional photographer for magazines, advertising agencies, and corporations with clients locally, nationally, and internationally. more>>