| PENDER HALL DEDICATION
CBU will formally dedicate Pender Hall, the Capstone student apartment building at 604 East Parkway adjacent to the Canale Pool, in honor and memory of the late Gene Pender on Friday, September 21. Mr. Pender, who attended Christian Brothers College and high school in the 1940s, passed away in 2005 and left a generous portion of his estate to CBU and CBHS. The dedication ceremony will be held at Pender Hall at 4:00 p.m. with a reception to follow in the Grove. The entire campus community is invited to attend and express its gratitude to this benefactor and his family.
STUDENT ORGANIZATION NEWS & EVENTS
• Delta Sigma Pi, the Professional Business Fraternity, is open to all business majors with a minimum 2.5 GPA. If you are interested in joining Delta Sigma Pi during its centennial year, you are invited to attend our fall recruitment events:
Club Fair Booth, September 11, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.; Meet the Chapter Informational Session in Montesi, September 11, 5:15 p.m. (food provided); Free Putt-Putt Mini Golf with the Chapter, September 14, 6:30 p.m. (meet in the foyer of Buckman Hall); Meet the Chapter Informational Session in Montesi, September 18, 12:30 p.m. (refreshments provided); Behind the Scenes Tour at Cargill Cotton in Cordova, September 20, 3:30 p.m. (meet in the foyer of Buckman Hall). For more information please contact the president, Burton Bridges, at email@example.com or visit the website at stu.cbu.edu/Clubs/dsp.
STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION
MARK YOUR CALENDARS for these upcoming SGA events: Student Appreciation Day on September 26 and Fall Fling on
September 28. More information to come!
Any student who is planning on graduating in December 2007, May 2008, or August 2008 must attend one of the Graduation Meetings scheduled for October 2 at 12:30 p.m. or 5:15 p.m. or October 3 at 5:15 p.m. in Spain Auditorium. Topics include things you need to know about commencement and how to file your Intent to Graduate. You will also be measured for your cap and gown. The deadline for filling your Intent to Graduate and your Cap and Gown forms is December 1. A $50 late fee will be assessed if the Intent to Graduate is filed after December 15.
FALL CONCERT SERIES
$5.00 admission to CBU concerts; FREE to CBU students, faculty, and staff with valid ID.
• Friday, September 28: "An Evening of Recital" featuring the students of Tommy Gaines. An evening of vocal selections including art songs, arias and sacred songs; 7:30 p.m.; Spain Auditorium
• Tuesday, October 23: "Faculty Recital by Tommy Gaines, Baritone." A program of art songs, operatic arias, sacred and popular songs. Mr. Gaines has sung professionally with several opera companies, has appeared as a frequent soloist in numerous oratorios, concerts and recital venues. A winner of the Encouragement Award at the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions, Gaines was also the winner of the Beethoven Club of Memphis' Young Artist Competition. 7:30 p.m.; CBU Theatre
• Friday November 16: "Duet and Ensemble Recital" given by students of Tommy Gaines, assistant professor of music. A delightful evening of duet, trio and small ensemble selections ranging from classics and opera to Broadway show tunes; 7:30 p.m.; Spain Auditorium
• Friday November 30: "This is Christmas" presented by the CB Singers. CBU's premier singing group will be singing sacred and popular Christmas songs arranged by Bob Krogstad, one of today's most popular arrangers. Come and start your Holiday season off with these fantastic stylings; 7:30 p.m.; CBU Theatre
Neil Simon's Rumors will be produced by the Encore Drama Club on October 5-7 in the University Theater. Show times are Friday, October 5, at 8:00 p.m.; Saturday, October 6, at 8:00 p.m.; and Sunday, October 7, at 2:00 p.m. Tickets are $5 for general admission and $2 for ANY college student or faculty member with valid ID. Tickets will be sold at the door, no reserved seating. Advance ticket sales will be provided on campus through members of the Encore Drama Club. For additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
An exhibition by the Mid-South Woodturners Guild entitled "Beneath the Bark" will be on display through October 4 in the Beverly & Sam Ross Gallery (lower level of Plough Library). The Mid-South Woodturners Guild is a local chapter of the American Association of Woodturners, an organization dedicated to the advancement of the woodturning craft. More>>
• "Faces of the Faithful," an exhibition of photography excerpted from a 2001 photo-documentary on Elvis fans by Judy Wimmer and Dr. Teri Mason (Behavioral Sciences), is on display in the Plough Library through September 21.
This year's Twilight Retreats, focusing on "Five Steps to a Fuller Life," will be held in Spain Auditorium on Tuesday evenings at 6:30 p.m. Dates are September 25, October 30, November 20, December 18, January 22, February 26, and March 25. For more information, visit www.hisway.com or www.immersedinchrist.org.
LEAD LIKE JESUS - VIA SATELLITE
Christian Brothers University will be hosting the seminar, “Lead Like Jesus Now: The Leadership Revolution,” on Friday, October 19, in the University Theater. Developed by Ken Blanchard, co-author of The One Minute Manager and co-founder of Lead Like Jesus, it is dedicated to inspiring and equipping people to adopt the servant-leadership model of Jesus Christ. This broadcast seminar is being sponsored by the CBU Center for Ethical Leadership and will be broadcast by CCN, which provides more than 150 satellite events every year with leadership training, special events, and outreach opportunities to churches throughout North America. Cost is $35 which includes lunch. For more information, call 321-3114.
CAMPUS MINISTRY FALL 2007
Everyone is cordially invited to attend any or all of these regular worship opportunities. May God continue to live in our hearts!
• Daily Mass: Monday-Friday, 5:00 p.m., De La Salle Chapel
• Sunday Mass: Sunday, 11:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. (student-led), De La Salle Chapel
• Bible Reflection: Monday, 5:00 p.m., St. Joseph Chapel
• Communion: Tuesday, 12:22 p.m., St. Joseph Chapel
• Bible Study: Wednesday, 7:00-8:00 p.m., Stritch Lounge
• Adoration: Wednesday, 8:00-9:00 p.m., St. Joseph Chapel
• Noontime Prayer: Thursday, 12:22 p.m., St. Joseph Chapel
• Rosary: Monday, Wednesday, Friday; noon, St. Joseph Chapel
Submit your news to the CBU Connection.
Please include time, date, and location for events. Deadline for Monday's edition is Friday at 3:00 p.m.