BROTHER VINCENT MALHAM, FSC (1934-2008)
A Campus Prayer Service is scheduled for Monday, May 5, at 9:00 a.m. in the University Theater.
Prayer of Remembrance offered by a CBU Student
Christ, Our Lord --
We offer you our prayers of thanksgiving for the life of Br. Vincent Malham, one of your dear servants and a blessed son of St. La Salle. Receive his soul, O Lord, and welcome him into your kingdom where he may forever enjoy the eternal gaze of your divine love. As Br. Vincent joins you in the reality of the sacred hope which does not disappoint, we pray through his intercession for our own help -- as we still have work to accomplish. Though we miss him dearly, we offer to you these sufferings as an expression of trust in your promise to bless those who mourn. Eternal Rest, Grant Unto Br. Vincent, O Lord, and May Perpetual Light Shine Forever Upon Him in Christ's Kingdom.
Visitation for Brother Vincent Malham, Christian Brothers University president, will be Sunday, May 11, 5:00-9:00 p.m., at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception with a Rosary at 7:00 p.m. The Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on Monday, May 12, at 10:00 a.m. Burial will follow at Calvary Cemetery in the section set aside for the Christian Brothers of Memphis. A light luncheon will be served afterward on campus.
Brother Vincent died Friday, May 2, in an automobile accident in Louisiana. Brother Vincent had served as 21st president of the University since December 2005. More>>
COMMENCEMENT WEEK 2008
• Graduate & Professional Studies Reception: Tuesday, May 6, 5:30 p.m., Sabbatini Lounge
• Senior Party: Tuesday, May 6, 7:00 p.m. Bus will leave the Central Lot promptly at 7:00 p.m. and shuttle if necessary. You must ride the bus! $20 ticket includes transportation, food, music, and beverages (wine and beer). Tickets available in the Student Life Office (Thomas Center) or the Alumni Office (Barry Hall). For more info, contact email@example.com.
• Commencement Rehearsal: Wednesday, May 7, 6:00 p.m., University Theater
• Senior Picnic: Wednesday, May 7, after Rehearsal, Boshwit Courtyard. Come relax after rehearsal and enjoy food and beer compliments of the Alumni Association.
• Alumni Legacy Dinner: Thursday, May 8, 5:00-6:30 p.m. By invitation only
• Baccalaureate Prayer Service: Thursday, May 8, 7:00 p.m., University Theater. Mr. Joe Birch ('78) will be awarded the Maurelian Medal and provide the Baccalaureate address.
• Baccalaureate Reception: Thursday, May 8, Boshwit Courtyard, immediately following Baccalaureate
• Special Recognition Ceremony: Friday, May 9, 10:00 a.m. By invitation only
• Commencement: Friday, May 9, 4:00 p.m., Desoto Civic Center. Check-in for graduates and faculty at 2:00 p.m,; doors open to the public at 3:00 p.m.; ceremony begins at 4:00 p.m. Note: Commencement tickets are NOT required for faculty this year.
Click here for more details and directions. If there are any questions concerning Commencement Week activities, please feel free to contact Mario Brown at Mario.firstname.lastname@example.org or Andrea Payne at email@example.com or by phone at 321-3531.
• Gulf South Conference West Division softball coaches have voted CBU Lady Buc pitcher Nikki Dunn (Psychology '09) to the All-GSC West Second Team, her third straight All-GSC season. Dunn went 12-11 this year with a 2.32 ERA and 193 strikeouts in 174.2 innings.
• Michael Herr (Biology '08) has been accepted to the Integrated Program in Biomedical Science at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center.
• CBU Buccaneer first baseman Joseph Kaminski (Mechanical Engineering '10) has been voted Second-Team All-Gulf South Conference West Division by the league's coaches. Kaminski led the Bucs this season with a .385 batting average, six homers, and 40 RBI.
STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION OFFICERS
Congratulations to the recently elected Student Government Association officers for the 2008-09 school year: Samantha Almanza, President; Burton Bridges, Vice President for the Senate; Ian Withrow, Vice President for Programming; Jessie Wortham, Vice President for Communications; Keith Wyrick, Vice President for Finance; and Meagan Lytle, President of the Student Activities Council. The newly elected Senators for the 2008-09 school year are Richard Boyette, Russell Brandon, Sarah Brown, Boris de Souza, Mary Jane Dickey, Lauren Douglass, Rachel Haag, Kenny Latta, John Legge, Catherine Montesi, Terry Netzel, and Teresa Ung. The SGA would like to thank all the students for voting in this year's elections, and if you have any suggestions for next year please email Samantha Almanza at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRIMO PARKING SPACE WINNERS
Thank you to all faculty and staff who contributed to the Campaign for the Annual Fund. If you would still like to participate, make your gift before May 31 at https://secure.cbu.edu/alumni/gift/, or contact Aimee Lewis at email@example.com or 321-3271. Congratulations to the winners of the "primo parking space" for 2008-09: Elizabeth Nelson (May 2008), Leigh Becker (June 2008), Linda Dunlap (July 2008), Dan Messinger (August 2008), Conrad Brombach (September 2008), Kathleen Sauser (October 2008), Mary Cargill (November 2008), Talana Vogel (December 2008), Dennis Merat (January 2009), Margaret Ballard (February 2009), Robert Drake (March 2009), and Dale Bails (April 2008).
THANK YOU FROM BETA BETA BETA (AND TAKE THAT, OLD GEEZERS)
Beta Beta Beta, the biology honor society, would like to thank every one who supported their Charity Volleyball Game on April 9 pitting the Young Whipper Snappers (students) against the Old Geezers (faculty and staff). To date BBB has collected $600 for the Church Health Center. Once again the Whipper Snappers proved victorious, starring the talented Antony Eddy, Chris Reid, Victoria Bujalski, Kristi Prevost, Maegan Lamica, Matt Morgan, and Heather Perry. The vanquished Old Geezers featured Dr. Johnny Holmes (Dean, School of Sciences), Dr. John Varriano (Physics), Ms. Cathy Carter (Mathematics), Mr. Ken Massa (Human Resources), Dr. Jeff Miller (Religion & Philosophy), Ms. Lynda Miller (Biology), Br. Francisco Martin (Literature & Languages), Christina Brown ('06), David Tran ('05), and Brian Kim ('07). Dr. Mary Ogilvie (Biology) coached the Geezers. Congratulations to Victoria Brujalski, who was named MVP, and
special thanks to Nicole Bates, who planned and directed the event; Jeremy Armstrong, who served as announcer; and Hanna Orendorff, who served as referee.
CAMERA CLUB EXHIBITION
An exhibition by the Memphis Camera Club entitled "Places We've Been" is on display in the Beverly & Sam Ross Gallery (lower level of Plough Memorial Library) through May 22. This exhibit presents images that were taken on the club's field trips over the past fifteen years. More>>
CANALE ARENA CLOSING
Canale Arena will be closed May 12-18 while the court floor is being refinished and repainted. All athletic facilities in the building will be unavailable, but Athletic Department offices will be open.
COMPUTER CENTER HOURS
From May 7 through June 1, the ITS Help Desk and Computer Center Labs 1 & 3 will be open Mondays through Fridays, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., and will be closed Saturdays and Sundays. The Computer Center (including the 24-hour lab) will also be closed for the Memorial Day holiday on Monday, May 26.
SUMMER SCHEDULE FOR CBU CONNECTION
The CBU Connection will appear monthly during the summer. It will be emailed and published online on June 9 and July 14. The Connection will return to its regular weekly schedule on August 18.