AddThis Social Bookmark Button


Going back to school as an adult offers unique challenges that traditional students don’t face – namely, how to juggle work and home life along with school. Christian Brothers University offers a number of adult education programs designed with your specific needs in mind.

If you are a nontraditional student and have questions about how to go back to school, we have put together a list of Frequently Asked Questions to help address some of the most common concerns students have about Adult Professional Studies at CBU. If you need more clarification or have questions that we haven't covered, please do not hesitate to call our office at (901) 321-3291!

When do classes meet?

What are the accelerated semesters?

How are classes delivered?

Adult Professional Studies courses are delivered in three main formats:

How can I earn 30 semester credits per year?

If you take two courses per eight-week term, you will earn 30 credits (3 credits x 2 courses x 5 terms per year). The total number of hours earned will vary depending on the coursework you choose. If you maintain a 3.2 grade point average or above, you can petition to take more than two courses per semester. Students who receive approval may earn up to 45 credits per year.

How long will it take to finish my degree?

The answer to this question depends on the major you choose and the number of credits that will transfer from your previous institutions. When you are accepted, you will receive a degree plan that identifies the courses for which you will receive transfer credit and the courses you will need to complete to receive your degree.

Are there any credit alternatives?

There are two examination programs that enable students to earn up to 30 semester credits for prior knowledge:

For more information about these credit alternatives, contact us at (901) 321-3291.

Will my credit from previous colleges/universities transfer?

Yes, as long as the courses meet CBU’s transfer criteria. Only courses with grades of “C” or better will be accepted for transfer from other regionally accredited institutions. CBU has transfer agreements with Midsouth Community College, Northwest Mississippi Community College and Southwest Tennessee Community College. A transfer credit analysis is normally done after a transfer student has been accepted for admission.

How much does it cost?

The cost of education differs by program. For a list of current program Cost & Fees, please take a look at the Financial Info section on this website. You can also contact our office or contactthe Office of Student Financial Assistance to discuss the financial aid options that are available to you.

Will my company pay for me to attend CBU?

Talk with your Human Resource manager regarding tuition remission benefits. Some companies will provide some type of benefit for employees.