AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5th Year/Plus One Programs

Christian Brothers University undergraduates participate in intensive study in the arts and sciences; thus, ensuring that those who choose teaching careers have strong content knowledge, as well as, excellent pedagogical preparation.

With the exception of Early Childhood Education PreK-3 and Special Education Modified K-12, which are still available through conventional four-year degrees (B.A. Child Development and B.A. Special Education, respectively), undergraduate programs for teacher preparation are initially linked to B.A. and B.S. degrees followed by a "fifth-year" that culminates in earning a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree for professional studies in education. Strong preparation in the arts and sciences comes first, followed by a focus on pedagogy in the MAT.

Students may begin their professional education coursework during their senior year at CBU. The majors offered in support of initial teaching licensure are in:

  • B.A. Cultural Studies (for Middle Grades 4-8 licensure)
  • B.A. English (for English 7-12 licensure)
  • B.A. History (for History 7-12 licensure)
  • B.A. Liberal Studies (for Elementary Education K-6 licensure)
  • B.A. Mathematics (for Mathematics 7-12 licensure)
  • B.S. Natural Science (for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and/or Mathematics 7-12 licensure)
  • B.S. Chemistry (for Chemistry 7-12 licensure)
  • B.S. Physics (for Physics 7-12 licensure)
  • B.F.A. in Visual Arts (for Visual Arts K-12 licensure)

Several licensure tracks are designed to permit double endorsements through a minor in another content area. For course paradigms, please see the CBU Academic Catalog. For your convenience, we have also compiled a list of Tennessee Teaching License.

How it works:

  • Choose your specialty area as your undergraduate major.
  • Meet with your advisor and inform him/her that you want to follow the '5th-year paradigm.' At that time, you will be assigned a secondary advisor in the Department of Education.
  • During your junior/senior year, apply to the Master of Arts in Teaching program through the Department of Education.