AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Financial Aid

For your convenience, we have put together this simple guide to financining your graduate education at CBU. Please take a look at the simple instructions below and the Tuition Discount documents to the right and let us know if you have any questions. We would be more than happy to assist you!

Applying for Financial Aid

  • Apply for admission to the graduate program of your choice through the Department of Education. Ensure that all components of the admissions process have been completed.

  • Simultaneously complete and send off your FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is your key to financial aid at any institution. The FAFSA is in your graduate program admissions packet. If you did not receive one, contact CBU Student Financial Assistance at (901) 321-3305 to request one. You may also fill out a FAFSA online by following the links at This is by far the fastest approach to use.

  • You will get a Student Aid Report (SAR) back in three to four weeks. Your financial aid at CBU cannot be processed until the SAR returns to the Student Financial Assistance office. It is vital to allow time for the FAFSA/SAR process.

  • Your award letter, specifying the amount of financial aid that you are eligible for, comes from the Student Financial Assistance office.

  • When your award letter comes, it will include any documents that you need to fill out, as well as tell you about any documents needed to complete your file (such as copies of your tax returns). Most frequently, these documents will include a promissory note from your lender and an entrance interview process that sets out the tenets of the loan.

  • Unless you file your FAFSA and also are fully accepted by a graduate program in the Department of Education at least four weeks prior to your anticipated enrollment date, your financial aid may not be in place. The Student Financial Assistance office will consider the fact that your application for admissions is complete and is in process, and that your SAR has been received, if you are not able to interview and complete the full admissions process until close to the time of enrollment in a term.

  • You must have financial arrangements solidly in place in order to finalize or validate your registration and enrollment in courses. If your financial arrangements are not made by the end of the drop/add period, you will be dropped from your classes.

  • If your financial aid package is not in place at the time of your anticipated enrollment, you must expect to self-finance, making a deposit from your own resources of at least one-third of your tuition and fee charges for that term, also signing a promissory note to Christian Brothers University. CBU does participate in a long-term financing plan for students who wish to self-finance rather than receive financial aid. Please consult with Student Financial Assistance or the Business Office about this program.

  • To follow up on the progress of your financial aid award, from FAFSA-to-SAR-to-CBU and you, you may contact Student Financial Assistance with your questions at or (901) 321-3305.

back to top

Tuition Discounts

CBU knows the importance of making a quality degree affordable. For that reason, we offer discounts for:

  • Licensed teachers employed by the local school districts as well as those employed by independent schools.
  • Returning students who have already earned a graduate degree from CBU
  • All individuals teaching in the Memphis Catholic Schools

In order to take advantage of the available discounts, please stop by the Department of Education in Kenrick Hall to pick up a Tuition Discount Request Form. This must be completed each semester before tuition is due.

Teachers must currently hold an apprentice or professional license. Proof of employment must be provided – a current pay stub or contract are two items that may be used to verify employment. These documents must be presented each semester that a discount is requested.

back to top

Teacher Loan Forgiveness

If you have been a teacher for at least five consecutive years and teach in a low-income school, then you may be eligible for $5000 in loan forgiveness.

Teachers who have student loans earned through the Federal Family Education Loan Program are now eligible for forgiveness. There are standards to be met for qualification. For further information about the qualifying standards, visit the Federal Student Aid website.

back to top