Send a Graduation Announcement Press Release to Your Hometown Newspaper!
Congratulations on your graduation from CBU!
To mark this important milestone, we encourage you to send a personalized news release to your local newspaper(s). Using the sample below, you can create a customized news release about yourself (or your student), including major(s), academic honors, volunteer or internship experiences, study abroad trips, and/or plans for the future.
- Copy the sample news release text into a new document.
- Replace bracketed information with your personal details. Newsrooms receive lots of emails, so we suggest you keep your release short.
- We recommend you direct your graduation announcement to a general newsroom email address and not to specific reporters. To avoid having your email deleted or caught in a spam folder, we highly recommend that you find a general email address on the newspaper’s website or in the print edition.
- Copy the release and paste it directly into an e-mail message addressed to your local newspaper(s). Use the subject line “Local Resident Graduates from Christian Brothers University”
- (OPTIONAL) You may also wish to include a photo. Please note: Because newsrooms are inundated with a lot of email, an attachment may slow the receipt of your message or your message may be blocked by a spam filter. Instead, we suggest you include the following note at the end of your email: “Photo available upon request.”
Sample Graduation Hometown News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Month xx, 2018
[City Name] Resident Graduates from Christian Brothers University
MEMPHIS, TN.—[Graduate’s full name] of [City, State] graduated with a [Bachelor of Arts; Bachelor of Science; Master of Science in Educational Leadership, etc.] degree in [Major(s)] at Christian Brothers University’s commencement ceremony, held on and Saturday, May 12.
While at CBU, [last name]’s activities included [clubs, sports, volunteer work, jobs, honor societies, etc.]. In addition, [s/he completed a senior thesis, titled…; or s/he studied abroad at XYZ institution in X country; or any other relevant activity you’d like to include].
OPTIONAL: [Last name] plans to [work at ABC Company in City, State, or attend XYZ graduate school, or travel, volunteer, etc.] after graduation.
OPTIONAL: A [year] graduate of [Name of High School] in [City, State], [last name] is the [son/daughter] of [parents’ names and hometowns].
Christian Brothers University is the oldest University in the city of Memphis, founded in 1871 by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest Roman Catholic lay religious order of men exclusively devoted to education. CBU embraces teaching as a ministry, provides challenging, student-centered learning, and promotes personal growth in its students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Students of diverse cultures and religious traditions are encouraged to grow in their own faith. The University welcomes students into an educational community of faith and service, one that is committed to academic excellence, the betterment of society, and the care of God's creation.
For more information, visit www.cbu.edu.
### END ###