Objectives, Outcomes & Accreditation
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
The educational objectives of the mechanical engineering program are to prepare students to enter the practice of engineering and/or to continue their education in graduate or professional schools. Graduates will demonstrate:
- The ability to apply mathematics, engineering sciences, computational methods, and natural sciences to mechanical engineering problems.
- Entry-level competency of discipline-specific principles and practices within the area of mechanical engineering. This knowledge base includes the development of analytical and experimental skills.
- The ability to synthesize principles and techniques from engineering, mathematics, and natural/social sciences to develop and evaluate alternative design solutions to mechanical engineering problems.
- Professional responsibility and a sensibility to a broad range of societal concerns.
- Successful contribution to a team and effective communication skills.
- Awareness of the necessity for personal and professional growth by means of continuing education and skills training.
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs
- an ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context
- a recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Enrollment and Graduation Statistics
Our program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (B.S.M.E.) degree is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.