The educational objectives of the mechanical engineering program are to prepare students to enter the practice of engineering and/or to continue their education in graduate or professional schools. Graduates will demonstrate:
- The ability to apply mathematics, engineering sciences, computational methods, and natural sciences to mechanical engineering problems.
- Entry-level competency of discipline-specific principles and practices within the area of mechanical engineering. This knowledge base includes the development of analytical and experimental skills.
- The ability to synthesize principles and techniques from engineering, mathematics, and natural/social sciences to develop and evaluate alternative design solutions to mechanical engineering problems.
- Professional responsibility and a sensibility to a broad range of societal concerns, such as ethical, environmental, economic, regulatory, and global issues.
- Successful contribution to a team and effective communication skills.
- Awareness of the necessity for personal and professional growth by means of continuing education and skills training.