THINK PINK WEEK: Zeta Tau Alpha will holds its Think Pink philanthropy week benefitting Breast Cancer Education and Awareness October 6-10 at CBU. Activities will include:
• Buffalo Wild Wings Night: The Ladies of ZTA will be handing out tickets in the Quad on Monday — Take them to the Buffalo Wild Wings on Poplar Ave. from 4:00 to 10:00 p.m. and 10% of the check will be donated to Breast Cancer Education and Awareness.
• Mr. CBU Pageant: Join the ladies of Zeta Tau Alpha for the 11th annual Mr. CBU Pageant on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. in the University Theater. This event is an entertaining pageant in which male students compete in talent, swimsuit, and evening competitions! Tickets will be sold in the cafeteria from Monday, October 6 until Wednesday, October 8. You can also purchase tickets at the door.
Tickets will be $5 in the cafeteria and $7 at the door. All proceeds will be going towards breast cancer awareness and education.
• Midnight Volleyball: Join the ladies of ZTA Friday night (into Saturday morning) for Midnight Volleyball at the sand court! All-you-can-eat pink pancakes for $5.00!
NATIONAL PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT WEEK:
• The Physician Assistant Student Society will host an Open House with free blood pressure screenings on Monday, October 6 in the Sabbatini Lounge lobby, 12:00-1:00 p.m.
• The Physician Assistant Student Society will offer Chick-Fil-A biscuits for sale in front of the Cooper-Wilson Center on Wednesday, October 8, 7:00-9:00 a.m.
• The CBU PA Program will have an information table at the Health Fair on Wednesday, October 8 in Buckman Quad, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
• The Physician Assistant Student Society will host another Open House with free blood pressure screenings on Thursday, October 9 in the Sabbatini Lounge lobby, 12:00-1:00 p.m.
POETRY READING: Renee Emerson, author of the poetry collection Keeping Me Still, will read from her poetry on Tuesday, October 7, at 2:00 p.m. in the Wilson Family Commons in the Living Learning Center. Emerson received her M.F.A. from Boston University, where she was awarded the Academy of American Poets Prize in 2009. Previous publications include three chapbooks: Something Like Flight (Sargent Press), The Whitest Sheets (Maverick Duck Press), and Where Nothing Can Grow (Batcat Press). Her poetry has been published in Christianity and Literature, Boxcar Poetry Review, Indiana Review, Rock and Sling, 32 Poems and others, and she was nominated for a Pushcart Prize in 2010. Emerson teaches creative writing and composition at Shorter University, in Rome, GA.
YOUNG LADIES UNITED: Young Ladies United will have an info session Tuesday, October 7 at 4:00 p.m. in the Montesi Executive Center (Buckman 221). This organization is open to all women on CBU campus. Participants will discuss the purpose, events, the executive board, and the end goal for the organization.
WOMEN’S LACROSSE AT CBU! CBU is proud to announce the formation of a Women’s Lacrosse Club! If interested in learning more, attend the first interest meeting this Tuesday, October 7 at 7:00 p.m. in the Montesi Conference Room. The meeting will cover practices, coaching, club fees, fundraisers and much more. If you have any questions or wish to express interest, please email Abigail Lockard at email@example.com.
HEALTH FAIR: The CBU Health Fair will take place on Wednesday, October 8 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Buckman Quad and Sabbatini Lounge. There will be more than 20 vendors participating with lots of educational and instructional information. Free blood pressure tests will be offered. Flu vaccines will also be provided, so take this an opportunity to protect yourself from the upcoming flu season! Free giveaways!
HUMANS VS. ZOMBIES: Student Life is hosting a Humans vs. Zombies game at CBU from Thursday, October 9 until Monday, October 13. This year’s game features a team component, epic missions and assignments and bandannas and socks galore. Sign up online at: http://www.hvzsource.com/cbu
LIBRARY INSIDE-OUT FALL FESTIVAL: The CBU Community is invited to Plough Library Inside-Out Fall Festival! Stop by Buckman Quad on Thursday, October 9 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for FOOD, FUN, GAMES, and PRIZES. Learn about all that the library has to offer you!
ART GALLERY OPENING: ”Creative Fire,” a retrospective exhibition of paintings by Sue S. Miller opens with a public reception in the Beverly & Sam Ross Gallery on Friday, October 10, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Miller, a graduate of Memphis College of Art and the University of Memphis has exhibited widely in Memphis Area and eastern states. She is one of the four founders of Artists Link. Miller’s paintings are in the Contemporary Collection at the Tennessee State Museum, the Tennessee Valley Authority, and various private collections. The retrospective exhibition of her work runs through December 4. Showing concurrently in the foyer of the gallery are paintings by Bernard Freiden. A reception for Freiden’s exhibition will be held on Sunday, October 12 on the first floor of Plough Library, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
OCTOBERFEST: Octoberfest celebrates the German tradition of good food, fellowship, and exciting drinks (for those of age!). CBU’s Octoberfest will feature a German-themed menu, several traditional beers, and will feature a traditional band. Friday, October 10, 6:00-9:00 p.m. in the Thomas Center Breezeway and Gazebo Area.
CORN MAZE AND SPOOKY TRAIL: Sign up now for a ticket to the Agricenter Corn Maze OR Shelby Farm’s Spooky Trail on Saturday, October 11. The Corn Maze is an 8-acre puzzle of twists and turns and some dead ends! It¹s all carved into stalks of corn that tower over your head, offering an experience that is fun for kids from 2 to 92! The Spooky Trail is the only haunted trail in Memphis at Spooky Nights at Shelby Farms with a half mile full of scares. Only five spots left! Sign up online TODAY at www.tinyurl.com/cbutrips.