Past Events

New York City based poet Ekere Tallie read her work and answered student questions during an intimate poetry workshop in Kenrick Hall this past October 22nd.

2013-10-22 13.40.33

The recipient of a 2010 Queens Council on the Arts grant for her research on herbalists of the African Diaspora working in urban and non-traditional settings, her writing has been published in numerous literary journals and anthologies including Crab Orchard Review, BOMB, Paris/Atlantic, Go, Tell Michelle (SUNY), Listen Up! (One World Ballantine) and Revenge and Forgiveness (Henry Holt). She has appeared on Dutch television and her work has been the subject of the short film “I Leave My Colors Everywhere.”

Her first collection of poetry, Karma’s Footsteps, was released by Flipped Eye Publishing in September of 2011. She currently teaches at York College. For more info please visit her website.

Note From A Loving Wife2013-10-22 12.42.28

The dishes all want to break,
My Love
one by one
they wriggle from my hands
shattering in unsorry pieces

Leave him cries
the cracked bowl
You are too much whispers
a shard of plate
Too good jagged mouth
of glass to be here

your very own dishes,
betrayed you, My Love
spoons beat your secrets
‘till they bent in fatigue

so when you come home
with her scent in your hair
and you walk from room
to room finding no sign
of me, keep your shoes on

particularly in the kitchen,
my freedom might get
stuck in your feet

Tiny Circus Comes to Town

tiny circusTiny Circus, a community based collaborative art group, was on campus conducting a workshop during the week of Oct. 21st – 24th, with the Visual and Performing Arts Dept. Visual and Performing Arts students worked with the group to create a stop-motion animation documenting the retellings of ghost stories, spooky tales, hauntings, and supernatural events attached to Kenrick Hall – CBU’s oldest building on campus.