FAFSA: CBU Financial Assistance Can Help!

The CBU Financial Assistance Office will be offering on-site professional assistance completing the FAFSA (Free Application For Federal Student Aid) during the next three months.  Students and families will be able to talk to financial aid professionals about financial aid resources and how to apply, along with getting information regarding state-wide student services, and more!  Following are the scheduled dates for the FAFSA workshops that will take place in Computer Lab 218 of Buckman Hall from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. Individuals can email finaid@cbu.edu or call (901) 321-3305 to sign up. Space is limited to 25 computers per session.

January Sessions: January 14, 16, 21, 23, 28, 30

February Sessions: February 4, 6, 11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 27

March Sessions: March 4, 6, 11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 27

Bring the things you’ll need:
You (and your spouse if you are married, or your parent(s) if you are a dependent student) should bring the information listed below to complete the FAFSA.

Note: If you (and your spouse if you are married, or your parent(s) if you are a dependent student) will file the FAFSA online and you already have filed your 2013 tax return, you may be able to electronically retrieve the necessary tax information directly from the Internal Revenue Service as part of the online FAFSA completion process. The U.S. Department of Education encourages applicants and parents to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when possible to simplify the process. You will not be able to use this IRS process if:

  • You have not yet filed taxes or are not required to file
  • You were married on or after January 1, 2013
  • The tax return was filed, but subsequently amended
  • The first three digits of your Social Security number are 666
  • You filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return
  • You are married, but filed as head of household or married filing separately
  • Neither married parent entered a valid Social Security number
  • A non-married parent entered all zeroes as their Social Security number

You should bring or have information about the following items:

  • Social Security number
  • Driver’s license state and number (if any)
  • Food Stamps (SNAP) benefits received during the last two calendar years, if any
  • Household size
  • Number of family members in college
  • Amount of child support paid during 2013, if any
  • Amount of child support received during 2013, if any
  • Name and state of the high school that conferred your diploma, if any
  • Untaxed income records for 2013:
    ° Social Security
    ° Temporary Assistance to Needy Families
    ° Welfare
    ° Vereran’s benefits
  • Current bank statements
  • Current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment records
  • Documentation that you are a U.S. permanent resident or other eligible noncitizen
  • Amount of combat pay or special combat pay received during 2013, if any

If you filed your tax return but are not using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, bring the following additional items:

  • Your (and applicable parents’ or spouse’s) most recent Federal income tax return:
    ° IRS Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ
    ° Foreign tax return, or
    ° Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia

If you have not yet filed your tax return, bring the following additional items:

  • All applicable W-2 forms and a list of all income earned not listed on a W-2 form.

Note:  All information reviewed by the CBU Financial Assistance Professionals will be kept private and confidential and will not be used for any purpose other than helping the students and families apply for financial aid. Student and family identities will be protected to the best extent possible, and none of the information being requested will be sent to vendors for other purposes besides applying for aid.