Brian Summers Appointed Director Of Athletics

MEMPHIS — Christian Brothers University President Dr. John Smarrelli Jr., has appointed Brian Summers as CBU’s seventh Director of Athletics, effective June 30. Summers comes to CBU after a distinguished 13-year career at Lewis University, a fellow NCAA D-II Lasallian school in Romeoville, Ill.

“I am so pleased to welcome Brian Summers to the CBU family,” Smarrelli said. “Having served at our sister university, Lewis, in Chicago, Brian brings a deep awareness and respect for CBU’s Lasallian heritage and mission. Integrity and character are important to me, and I’m very impressed with his strengths on those attributes. His professional and operational skills and his commitment to improving the experience of our student athletes both on and off the field will help to position our athletic program for significant growth.”

“I’d like to thank President Smarrelli and the search committee for entrusting me with the Christian Brothers University Athletics Department,” Summers said. “I am honored to replace CBU icon Joe Nadicksbernd, and I look forward to working with the student athletes, coaches, staff and University community to develop the program into a model NCAA Division II athletics department. Also, I relish the ability to continue serving students in the Lasallian tradition.”

Read the full story online now at http://www.cbu.edu/news/2014/04/brian-summers-appointed-director-of-athletics/.