Articles & Advice

nonprofitNetworking 101:  How To Establish References
From Careerealism

Establishing references can be really difficult, especially when you’re looking for a job and don’t seem to have a strong list of potential references. However, this shouldn’t be neglected because, in many ways, references can make or break our future careers.

According to an article on Jobdig.com titled “The Real Purpose of References,” references serve as a deal closer for job candidates (and as a job seeker, you definitely want to seal the deal!). Here are some ways you can establish references while you’re looking for a job.    Read More…

businesscardTen Job Interview Myths Debunked
From Forbes

You probably get a little nervous before you go into a job interview. Even if you’ve copiously prepped, you figure the interviewer will hold all the cards. She knows everything about her company and the job you want, and she’s got a vision of the perfect employee that doesn’t exactly describe you.

Not so, says David Couper, a Los Angeles career and executive coach and the author of Outsiders on the Inside: How to Create a Winning Career … Even When You Don’t Fit In. In reality, most interviewers are ill-prepared and distracted, he says. “They usually just wing it based on their own experience.”  Read more…

resume_readingHow I Knew When To Change My Career
From The Huffington Post

Honestly on a Sunday night, two years ago, my thoughts usually went like this; “I don’t want to go to work tomorrow”, “I hate my job” “I am dreading having to see….”

It’s like I went from being a happy, loving life type of girl to an unhappy, burnt out, misery guts… I’m not even joking. I know I swear but my swearing on a Sunday got a whole lot worse!  I was just so unhappy and living for the weekend in my Legal corporate career.  I was looking for a solution and my boyfriend’s solutions and practicality weren’t cutting it. All I could think was “What would he know? He loves his job!”    Read More…