|Our Spring 2013 Career & Internship Expo is scheduled for Tuesday, February 26th from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the Thomas Center Sabbatini Lounge. More than two dozen companies are expected to attend. Be sure to dress professionally, bring plenty of resumes, and be prepared to ask questions about each company, as well as answer questions about yourself!
The following companies are confirmed to attend as of Monday, February 4th:
From FederalTimes.com (2/4/2013)
The 17th-century French scientist and mathematician Blaise Pascal said, “If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter.” The principle that writing concise documents takes more time than writing long-winded ones applies to just about every type of document, including reports, fact sheets, websites, letters, presentations and applications.
Instead of leaving the preparation of documents to the last minute, take time to: Read the full article from FederalTimes.com…
From LinkedIn.com (2/4/2013)
It’s only early February, but if this is your (or your son’s or daughter’s) last year of college, it’s time to get the job search in full gear. Here are ways to increase your odds of success.
First, let’s be clear. Your goal isn’t to get a job this month, but rather to lay the groundwork so that you’ll have a great job when you graduate. Start conversations, not interviews: Before you get interviews or offers, you need to start interacting with people who are already in the workforce. Reach out and have intelligent conversations with them. Read the full article from LinkedIn…
From Early Careerist (1/23/2013)
Cover-ups happen all the time. For years, people have been trying to conceal the truth about alien encounters, square planets, and dinosaur amusement parks. But the greatest smokescreen of all time has nothing to do with grassy knolls or UFOs.
No, it’s that you can cover up your lack of work experience and actually get a job, make money, and get some of that pesky experience that’s been causing you so much grief. Read on to learn the best ways to overcome your inexperience and get that job you’ve been hoping for. Read the full article from EarlyCareerist.com…
All job opportunities listed with our office appear in our Nace-Link Recruitment System, powered by Symplicity. Students and alumni should sign in to their account to access these positions, which are posted by employers as they become available. Full details on each job (description, majors, experience, requirements, etc.) are included. (Don’t have a Nace-Link account yet? It’s free for all CBU students and alumni! Register today!)
There are currently 207 active positions posted in the “CBU Jobs” section; there are also thousands of additional positions listed locally, regionally and nationally in the “Nace-Link Network” section. Jobs that have been posted recently include those from the following companies…
- #2461 – CTE Teachers: Memphis City Schools (Teach Memphis) (Bachelors Degree, Experience in area of specialty)
- #2460 – Preschool Spanish Teacher: Castonas Spanish Teachers (Degree preferred but not required – Spanish fluency)
- #2459 – Public Health Associate Program: Center For Disease Control & Prevention (All Majors – Two Year Paid Fellowship)
- #2458 – Rental Representative: Penske Truck Leasing (Part Time – All Business Majors – 15-25 hours/week)
- #2456 – Box Office Ticket Seller: Memphis Redbirds (Part Time – Ideal for Finance or Sports Management majors)
- #2453 – FLIGHT Leadership Training Program: Asurion (Degree in Business, Engineering Management, Communications or related – Position in Nashville, TN)
- #2451 – Receptionist: MATA (All Majors)
- #2450 – Finance/Accounting Clerk: Blues City Brewery (Part-Time – Pursuing Degree in Accounting or Finance – $12/hour)
- #2449 – Multiple Positions: Department Of Veteran’s Affairs (See description for details)
- #2448 – Corporate Communications Intern: Baptist Memorial Healthcare Corporation (Seniors in ECCM, Marketing, Management, or pursuing MBA or MAEL)
- #2447 – Marketing Assistant: Revid Property Management (Sophomores/Juniors in Marketing or related areas preferred – all majors eligible)
- #2445 – Manager Trainee: Penske Truck Leasing (All majors – ideal for business, management, marketing, or related areas – opportunities for advancement)
- #2444 – English Teachers: Memphis City Schools (Teach Memphis) (Graduating seniors in English, Education or related)
- #2443 – Band Teachers: Memphis City Schools (Teach Memphis) (Graduating seniors in Music, Education or related)
- #2442 – Spanish Speaking Elementary Teachers: Memphis City Schools (Teach Memphis) (Graduating seniors in Spanish, Education or related)
- #2441 – Commercial Account Manager: EdR (Education Realty Trust) (Business Degree, One Year Commercial Property Experience)
- #2440 – Real Estate Acquisitions/Development Market Analyst: EdR (Education Realty Trust) (Business Degree, One Year Related Experience)
- #2439 – Property Accountant: EdR (Education Realty Trust) (Accounting Degree, 3-5 years relevant experience, CPA preferred)
- #2438 – Director Of Ancillary Services & Analysis: EdR (Education Realty Trust) (Business/Accounting Degree, Three Years related work experience, project management)
- #2437 – Broadcast Technician/Broadcast Engineering Assistant: Clear Channel Radio Memphis (Electrical/Computer Engineering Degree – 5+ years experience)
Have you liked us on Facebook yet? No? Well you should! Keep up with everything our office is doing, in-week announcements, job fair updates, new photos, external links, and more! Would you like an “incentive” to like us? We have one! If you “like” our page between now and Friday, February 8th, you’ll be entered into a drawing for a $25 gift card to the bookstore! But even if you don’t win, liking our page will “pay off” for you in the future! Click here to like us today!
From TheDailyMuse.com (1/20/2013)
You know all about getting your resume noticed. (Clean layout! Accomplishments, not duties!) But do you know what’s on the flipside? What you might be doing that could cause recruiters to overlook your resume—or worse, toss it in the trash? Gasp! The trash? I know what you’re thinking, but the truth is, recruiters have dozens, even hundreds, of resumes to comb through every day.
So, in an effort to cull them down to a reasonable amount, they’ll simply toss any that don’t meet what they’re looking for. To learn more, I sat down with a few recruiters and asked them about the resumes that make the cut and those that get tossed. Here are three of their deal-breakers. Read the full article from TheDailyMuse.com…
From NYtimes.com (1/28/2013)
Riju Parakh wasn’t even looking for a new job. But when a friend at Ernst & Young recommended her, Ms. Parakh’s résumé was quickly separated from the thousands the firm receives every week because she was referred by a current employee, and within three weeks she was hired. “You know how long this usually takes,” she said. “It was miraculous.”
While whom you know has always counted in hiring, Ms. Parakh’s experience underscores a fundamental shift in the job market. Big companies like Ernst & Young are increasingly using their own workers to find new hires, saving time and money but lengthening the odds for job seekers without connections, especially among the long-term unemployed. Read the full article from NYtimes.com…
From Early Careerist (1/23/2013)
You kicked BUTT at the interview (or so you thought!) and were CERTAIN you’d get the job…but surprisingly, you DIDN’T!? So what happened?? It’s easy to feel bad or get upset, or take it personally…but DON’T! Various reasons at hand could have been the deciding factors, and they might not have even been in your control.
Hiring Managers and Recruiters/HR Professionals are usually under a lot of pressure to consider MANY candidates within a rather small time period, ensuring that the chosen candidate is the person who is unquestionably THE best FIT for the job, who brings the most potential for results, and whom is the company’s best value in their investment (i.e. the Hiree will stick around for a while and not ‘jump ship’). And this FIT can be one of several “dimensions”. Specifically, it is usually one of these FOUR: Read the full article from EarlyCareerist.com…
An internship opportunity is available once again from TnAchieves, a scholarship and mentoring program that works with students, parents, mentors, high school guidance counselors, and various community college representatives across Tennessee. All academic majors are eligible to apply!
For full details and application procedures, view the full description here.
Autozone is seeking students graduating between May 2013 and May 2015 to fill several Summer 2013 Internships in a variety of disciplines. If you are interested in any of these positions, log-in to your Nace-Link account, and reference position #2382 for more details. (Deadline to apply for all positions is February 22nd.)
AutoZone offers paid summer internships in various departments throughout our organization. These internships are located at our Store Support Center (SSC) – Corporate Office – in downtown Memphis, TN. We are currently seeking students majoring in the following areas of study:
Accounting/Finance (Finance Internships)
Retail/Merchandising/Marketing (Merchandising Internship)
Retail/Business (Store Operations Internships)
Store Planning & Construction (Store Development Internship)
Supply Chain & Logistics (Supply Chain Internships)
Information Systems or IT Management (Information Technology Internships)
Justice and Law (Legal Internship)
Criminal Justice (Loss Prevention Internships)
Marketing or Management (E-Commerce Internship),
HR (Human Resources)
FedEx Services has posted several Summer 2013 internships for December 2013 and May 2014 graduates across a variety of majors. Be sure to log in to your Nace-Link account to view the full description and qualifications for each position. Each position also contains the external link on the FedEx website to apply for each position. The posting deadline date for each of these positions is February 15th, but applying sooner is better! Start date for each position is June 3rd.
- #2349 – Intern, Customer Value Team (Communications, Marketing, Business, International Business, Management, English, MBA)
- #2348 – Intern, Sales Analyst (Communications, Business, Accounting, Management, Marketing, Finance, International Business, MIS/ITM, MBA)
- #2347 – Intern, Sales (Communications, International Business, Marketing, Business, Management, MBA)
- #2346 - Intern, Global Marketing & Consumer Experience (MBA Candidates Only)
- #2345 – Intern, IT Business Analyst (MIS/ITM, MBA)
- #2344 - Intern, Technical Analyst (Computer Science, MIS/ITM, Electrical/Computer Engineering)
- #2343 – Intern, Programmer Analyst (Computer Science, MIS/ITM, Electrical/Computer Engineering)
There are a number of new positions (referred to us by one of our alums) currently available from Zimmer, Inc., a joint-replacement technology company. You can view full details for each of these positions here.