Featured Story: Sophomore Civil Student Gets Real World Experience

Lauren Harrett, a civil engineering sophomore, participated in a 3 month co-op term with Toyota Motor Engineering and Manufacturing of North America in Erlanger, KY. Harrett worked in the Plant Engineering Department and specifically with the Plant and Building Planning Section. She visited and worked at three different plants including the powertrain plant in Huntsville, AL, and the full manufacturing plants in Georgetown, KY and Tupelo, MS. She had the opportunity to participate in 3 major projects during the term, including a Test Track Expansion project, a V6 engine building expansion project, and a truss reinforcement and header replacement project. Harrett had the following to say about the experience:

“These projects helped me see a side of the real world that I had not been exposed to before. I got a real sense of the real world when I had meetings with advisers from Japan and the GM and Asst. GM to get some of my work approved. I worked with students from all over the country….including Rochester, NY and Los Angeles, CA.”