NEW PACKAGING DEPARTMENT @ CBU
Even though packaging activities at CBU have been around since 2001, the Packaging Department became official in June 2012 with Dr. Pong Malasri as the Chair. The department oversees:
- Education Programs
- B.S. Engineering Management (Packaging Concentration)
- Undergraduate Packaging Engineering Certificate
- Undergraduate Packaging Minor
- M.S. Engineering Management (Packaging Concentration)
- Graduate Packaging Certificate
- Healthcare Packaging Consortium
- ISTA Certified Commercial Package Testing Lab
TAPPI BOARD APPROVES TWO NEW STUDENT CHAPTERS AT PACKAGING SCHOOLS
TAPPI’s Board of Directors unanimously approved the creation of two new student chapters – Christian Brothers University and Washington State University. Robert Hammond, Chair of TAPPI’s PLACE Division said, “Traditionally the TAPPI Chapters have only been at paper schools. This represents a significant step for TAPPI in the reaching out to all sectors of the Packaging Industry.”
News about the TAPPI Student Chapter establishment appears in the digital magazine of Packaging Europe, a UK based company featuring Europe’s premier packaging publication, with continent-wide coverage and a global reach. Click here to read the digital magazine
Siripong Malasri, Ph.D., P.E., Chair of the Packaging Program said, “Having a TAPPI Student Chapter will galvanize our packaging students. The Packaging Department at CBU will become official on June 1, 2012, even though we have had packaging programs for many years. Recently CBU Packaging has moved forward significantly with its ISTA Certified Packaging Lab (2009) and Healthcare Packaging Consortium (2010). We are now in the position to grow our packaging enrollment.” Here are our student chapter founding officers:
- President: Alvin Siow (ChE & Pkg Minor)
- Vice President: Mallory Harvey (CE & Pkg Minor)
- Treasurer: Rhett Jordan (ChE & Pkg Minor)
- Secretary: Phyo Aung (CE & Pkg Minor)
HEALTHCARE PACKAGING CONSORTIUM
The Healthcare Packaging Consortium is one member stronger! In June 2012, The Pallet Factory, Inc. joined Evergreen Packaging, FedEx, Medtronic, Merck, Plastic Ingenuity, Smith & Nephew, and Wright Medical as a member of the consortium. Michael Doyle, President and CEO of the company, serves as its representative on the consortium. Mr. Doyle has been a board member of the National Wooden Pallet & Container Association for 15 years and a former Chairman of the Board of the organization. He is one of the principal shareholders and founding member of PALNET, a one source, one point-of-contact pallet provider.
Dr. Pong Malasri presented a two-hour seminar on CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium and some of its R&D projects at Chulalongkorn University (Bangkok, Thailand) on May 25 and at Khonkaen University (Khonkaen, Thailand) on June 7 while he was on vacation in the country.
TEE IT UP WITH TAPPI FOR CBU
TAPPI plans to host a golf event raising scholarship fund for CBU engineering students who are interested in a career in pulp/paper/packaging. The event is tentatively scheduled for October 22, 5:30 – 9:00 p.m., at Vantage Point Golf Center, a brand new facility on Macon Road, Cordova. It is open to the public. For more information, please contact Dr. Pong Malasri at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTHER PACKAGING NEWS
Mr. Noppadol Krairiksh, VP of the Thai Packaging Association, visited CBU ISTA Certified Packaging Lab on Friday, August 17. He is also Managing Director of a packaging-related company in Thailand, C.G.S. (Thailand) Co., Ltd. Pictured on right, Mr. Krairiksh presented Dr. Pong Malasri (CE & Packaging) a copy of the latest issue of The Thai Packaging Newsletter, the official magazine of the Thai Packaging Association.
Since its inception on June 1, 2010, the Healthcare Packaging Consortium R&D project results have appeared in the following publications and more are in the pipeline:
- Ray Brown, Asit Ray, and Samuel Tsai, “Correlating Peel & Burst Test Data for Unrestricted Pouches with Fin Seal Edges,” Proceedings of the MAESC 2012 Conference, Memphis, TN, May 1, 2012
- Kalli Powers, Matthew Warren, and Ray Brown, “Packaging Analysis,” Proceedings of the MAESC 2012 Conference, Memphis, TN, May 1, 2012.
- Siripong Malasri, Ali Pourhashemi, Robert Moats, Mallory Harvey, and Phyo Aung, “Water Absorption of Wooden Pallets: A Preliminary Study,” Proceedings of the MAESC 2012 Conference, Memphis, TN, May 1, 2012.
- Siripong Malasri, Alvin Siow, Katy Moser, Mallory Harvey, Phyo Aung, Matt Warren, Rhett Jordan, Evan Edwards, and Paul Shiue, “Estimating Drop Height from Saver’s Impact Acceleration,” Proceedings of the MAESC 2012 Conference, Memphis, TN, May 1, 2012.
- Siripong Malasri, Phyo Aung, Katy Moser, Matt Warren, Rhett Jordan, Mallory Harvey, and Alvin Siow, “Subsequent Impact Acceleration Analysis of Air Pillow Study,” Proceedings of the MAESC 2012 Conference, Memphis, TN, May 1, 2012.
- Siripong Malasri, Phyo Aung, Evan Edwards, John Archer, Katy Moser, and Paul Shiue, “Distribution Tote Testing: A Weight Study,” Proceedings of the MAESC 2012 Conference, Memphis, TN, May 1, 2012.
- Siripong Malasri, Robert Moats, John Archer, Paul Shiue, Ray Brown, and Larry Rutledge, “Plastic Tote Drop Impact Study,” Journal of Packaging, Institute of Packaging Professionals, January 2012.
- Siripong Malasri, “Undergraduate Research in Healthcare Packaging,” Proceedings of the ASEE Mid-Atlantic Conference, American Society for Engineering Education, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 29, 2011.
- Siripong Malasri, Paul Shiue, Anthony Lawrence, Larry Rutledge, and Robert Moats, “Preliminary Study of Plastic Tote Drop Impact,” Proceedings of the MAESC 2011 Conference, Memphis, Tennessee, May 3, 2011.
Siripong Malasri, Asit Ray, and Larry Rutledge, “Healthcare Packaging Consortium,” Proceedings of the MAESC 2011 Conference, Memphis, Tennessee, May 3, 2011.
- Larry Rutledge, Siripong Malasri, and Anthony Lawrence, “Distribution Tote Testing,” Proceedings of the 2011 International Transport Packaging Forum, International Safe Transit Association, Orlando, Florida, April 18-21, 2011.