Pictured (l-r) PKG 201 class: Alex Othmani, Yuliana Sanchez-Luna, Sebastian Polania, Matthew Johnson, Ashley Qureshi, David Guerrero, Michael Kist, and Dr. Pong Malasri.
- Students from PKG 201 Packaging Seminars visited The Pallet Factory in Memphis on January 31. The Pallet Factory, a member of CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium, has supplied wooden pallets for pallet research at CBU.
- ELViS Finds a New Home in Memphis: Recently Lansmont Corporation posted a short article on their website about the new vibration test system acquired by CBU’s ISTA Certified Packaging Lab last November from the Michigan State Packaging Lab. Lansmont is a leading manufacturer of package testing equipment based in California. The CBU lab has several pieces of test equipment from Lansmont. Eric Joneson, VP of Technology at Lansmont, also serves on the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Advanced Packaging Technology, the official journal of the CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium. ELViS stands for Entry Level Vibrati on System.
- MicroPort Orthopedics, the sixth largest multinational hip and knee orthopedic reconstruction business, has recently become the latest member of the CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium. MicroPort is located in Arlington, TN; its parent company, MicroPort Scientific Corporation, is based in P. R. China. The CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium was established on June 1, 2010, with seven founding members: Evergreen Packaging, FedEx, Merck Consumer Care, Medtronic, Plastic Ingenuity, Smith & Nephew, and Wright Medical. Since then The Pallet Factory, Olympus Surgical Technologies America, WS Packaging, New-Tech Packaging, and MicroPort Orthopedics have joined the consortium.
- The International Journal of Advanced Packaging Technology (IJAPT), the CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium’s official journal, has recently been listed in SHERPA/RoMEO, a research database based at the University of Nottingham (UK). IJAPT has already been indexed/abstracted by DOAJ, Google Scholar, Journal TOCs, IndexCopernicus, ProQuest USA, Research Gate, Journaldatabase, and several others.
- A Healthcare Packaging Consortium research project on recycled cardboard was cited by NVC Netherlands Packaging Centre. Results showed that the performance of recycled materials had more degradation under extreme conditions than virgin materials. The work was published in the International Journal of Advanced Packaging Technology. The work, sponsored by FedEx, was under the supervision of Dr. Ray Brown (Mechanical Engineering).
- Volume 2, Number 1 of the International Journal of Advanced Packaging Technology (IJAPT) has been issued with the first article on “Time-Frequency Analysis of Shock and Vibration Measurements Using Wavelet Transforms” by Dr. Divya Choudhary (Electrical/Computer Engineering), Dr. Pong Malasri (Packaging Department), Mallory Harvey (Civil Engineering ’14), and Amanda Smith (Engineering Management ’15). IJAPT is the official journal of CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium. The first volume (2013) contains seven articles highlighting our consortium work. The second volume will have contributions from other non-CBU authors. An article from Eric Joneson, VP of Technology for Lansmont, will appear soon.
- Mr. Bob Moats (Engineering Lab Technician) recently passed the ISTA CPLP Technician examination. Currently there are about 200+ ISTA Certified Packaging Lab Technicians worldwide. There are three levels of ISTA certification: technician, technologist, and professionals. For more information about ISTA CPLP program, please visit www.ista.org/pages/certification/cplplevels.php.
- Dr. Pong Malasri (Packaging), Dr. Ali Pourhashemi (Chemical Engineering), Bob Moats (Engineering Lab), Mallory Harvey (Civil Engineering ’14), Rebecca Wauford (Mechanical Engineering ’15), David Guerrero (Civil Engineering ’14), Patrick Held (Engineering Management/Packaging ’15), Griselda Matos Martinez (Engineering Management ’16), Ebonee Malone (Engineering Management/Packaging), Matthew Ohlwein (Engineering Management/Packaging ’17), and Frederique Worthy (Packaging Minor) published an article entitled “Effect of Cushion Placed on Wooden Pallets” in the International Journal of Advanced Packaging Technology. The work is part of the pallet research project sponsored by FedEx.
- The CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium has completed the first volume (2013) of its official journal, the International Journal of Advanced Packaging Technology. This volume documents packaging research work performed at the consortium since its establishment in 2010. More work will continue to appear in the future volumes of the journal along with non-CBU articles. Full articles can be viewed at technical.cloud-journals.com/index.php/IJAPT/issue/view/9