- Official Journal of CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium Received an ISSN Number: On July 21, 2014, the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources, New Delhi, India, issued an ISSN number (ISSN 2349-6665) to the International Journal of Advanced Packaging Technology, the official journal of CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium. ISSN (International Standard Serial Number – www.issn.org) is an international organization with its headquarters in Paris, France. Currently the ISSN network is comprised of 88 member countries. CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium (founded in 2010) announced a collaboration with Cloud Publication (India) in designating the International Journal of Advanced Packaging Technology as the consortium’s official journal on October 17, 2013. It is an open-access online journal where published articles are available free of charge to the public. The journal website is at: http://technical.cloud-journals.com/index.php/IJAPT
Pictured above are (l-r): Dr. Ray Brown (Mechanical Engineering), Bob Moats (Engineering Lab & ISTA Certified Lab Technician), Dr. Pong Malasri (Dean of Engineering, Packaging Department & ISTA Certified Lab Technologist), Dr. Frank Buscher (Academic VP), Becky Wauford (Mechanical Engine ering ’15 & ISTA Certified Lab Technician), Larry Rutledge (CBU Packaging Lab Manager), Dr. Asit Ray (Chemical Engineering), Ed Church (ISTA President), and Dr. John Smarrelli (CBU President).
- Ed Church, President of International Safe Transit Association (ISTA), visited the CBU Packaging Lab on May 13. The CBU lab has been an ISTA certified lab since October 2009. The visit was mentioned in an article in the June issue of istaviews (“Ed Church visits Christian Brothers University Packaging Program”). The same newsletter from ISTA also contains a list of new ISTA Certified Packaging Lab Technicians, including three CBU students: Alex Othmani (Mechanical Engineering), Caleb Smith (Mechanical Engineering’14), and Rebecca Wauford (Mechanical Engineering ’15).
- An article entitled “Softwood Pallet Stringer Temperature Estimation” by Dr. Ali Pourhashemi (Chemical Engineering) and Dr. Pong Malasri (Dean of Engineering) was recently published in the International Journal of Advanced Packaging Technology. The work was part of the Pallet Project sponsored by FedEx with materials donated by The Pallet Factory, membe rs of the CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium.
Larry Rutledge at the 2014 ISTA TransPack Forum in Orlando, FL.
- Larry Rutledge (pictured above), CBU Packaging Lab Manager and former FedEx Lab Manager, represented CBU with a display booth at the 2014 ISTA TransPack Forum in Orlando, FL, April 22-25. TransPack is one of the largest packaging meetings in the world attended by packaging professionals from all across the globe. Larry also represents CBU on the ISTA Global Education Committee. The CBU Packaging Lab has been certified as a commercial lab by ISTA since 2009.
Dr. Pong Malasri’s PKG 201 class visited the new packaging lab at FedEx.
- Packaging students in Dr. Pong Malasri’s PKG 201 class visited the new packaging lab at FedEx in Collierville on April 4. Pictured above (l-r) are Gilman(FedEx Packaging Manager), Dr. James Aflaki, Yuliana Sanchez-Luna, Matt Johnson,Ashley Qureshi, Ike Griffith, Sebastian Polania, Michael Kist, Christopher Nguyen,David Guerrero, Ale Othmani, and Luis Garcia.
- The CBU Packaging Lab has recently been certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) for six additional test protocols. This brings up the total number of certified test protocols for CBU lab to 13. Currently ISTA has a total of 21 test protocols. CBU lab has been a certified commercial lab since 2009. It is well equipped and staffed by Larry Rutledge (former FedEx Packaging Lab Manager), Bob Moats (ISTA Certified Lab Technician), and Dr. Pong Malasri (ISTA Certified Lab Technologist). In addition, CBU has six ISTA student members. The lab has also been an important part of packaging research at CBU. For a listing of certified test protocols for CBU lab, click here.