On August 28, the Chemical Engineering Department recognized Mr. Tom Colanero of PennaKem for his service to our students. Mr. Colanero has been a member of the ChE Industrial Advisory Board for over a decade, is an industrial reviewer for senior design projects, and a frequent guest speaker in classes. Most recently, Mr. Colanero has been a guest lecturer on the Product Design Process for CHE 425.
Congratulations to the Summer 2013 engineering graduates!
- Evan D. Edwards – B.S. Engineering Management
- Ellis M. Jones – B.S. Mechanical Engineering
- Justin E. Johnson – B.S. Electrical Engineering
- Edward Trey Powell – B.S. Chemical Engineering
- William Blake Ward – B.S Civil Engineering
- Zhen Y. Zeng - B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Within 3 months of graduation, we can verify that 78% of our Spring 2013 graduates have started an engineering career or have begun graduate school.
- Raymond Bedrossian (BSEE & BSCS) is an Associate Programmer Analyst at FedEx Services.
- Kathleen Branscum (BSChE) is a Sales Engineer at Nucor Corporation.
- Whitney Burrell (BSEE) is a Product Development Engineer at ThyssenKrupp Elevator.
- Chloe Chung (BSME) is attending graduate school in Biomedical/Medical Engineering at the University of Tennessee-Health Science Center.
- Hunter Coulston (BSEE) is an Outside Sales Engineer at Young & Company in Los Angeles, CA.
- LeAnn Dunning (BSME) is an Associate Packaging Engineer at Medtronic, Inc.
- Irving Gabaldon (BSCE) is a Design Engineer at Memphis, Light, Gas, & Water.
- Mark Galinato (BSChE) is a Quality Control Supervisor at Consolidated Container Company.
- Cedric Harrell (BSEE) is an Interactive Controls Engineer Assistant at the KROC Center.
- Rhett Jordan (BSChE) is a Process Validation Engineer at GlaxoSmithKline.
- Sarah Kelly (BSEE) is a Computer Engineer at Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) in McLean, VA.
- Edwin Kirkpatrick (BSChE) is a Process Engineer at Lucite International in Nederland, TX.
- Mariel Meegan (BSME) is an engineer at Gala Engineering.
- Brian Ratcliffe (BSChE) is an Associate Process Engineer at Valero Refining in McKee, TX.
- Ricky Sanders (BSChE) is a Maintenance Engineer at Dow Chemical Company in New Orleans, LA.
- Michael Sanford (BSME) is a Design Engineer at DynaQuip Controls in St. Clair, MO.
- Nathan Short (BSME) is an Associate Engineer at Evaporcool Solutions, LLC.
- Nick Smith (BSEE) is a Controls Engineer at West Memphis Utilities Commission.
- Adam Thornton (BSME) is an Engineer 1 for Entergy at the River Bend Nuclear Power Plant in St. Francisville, LA.
- Martin Tribo (BSEE & BSCS) is an Associate Programmer Analyst at FedEx Services.
- Catherine Wood (BSCE) is a Quality Control Engineer for Bauer Foundation Corp at the Center Hill Dam in Silverpoint, TN.
Mallory Harvey (CE & Packaging minor) gave a 30-minute presentation titled “Distribution Hazards & ISTA Pre-shipment Testing” at the TAPPI Extrusion Coating Course at the Westin Memphis Beale Street on August 20, 2013. The three-day meeting was attended by 73 packaging/plastic professionals from 13 states and 6 foreign countries. This is the first time in TAPPI history that a student was invited to give a technical presentation at its professional short courses. Mallory has been involved with CBU Healthcare Packaging Consortium R&D projects for the past three years and has already coauthored three journal articles and four conference papers. She is currently the president of CBU TAPPI Student Chapter. Phyo Thoon Aung (CE & Packaging Certificate), Patrick Held (ENMT, Packaging concentration), and Dr. Pong Malasri (CE Professor & Packaging Chair) also attended the short course.
School of Engineering faculty and staff members were recognized for length of service to the University at the Community Convocation, held on August 15 in the University Theater.
- Leslie Herlihy (School of Engineering) and Dr. Randel Price (Chemical & Biochemical Engineering) were recognized for 10 years of service.
- Glenda Emerick (Graduate Engineering) was recognized for 20 years of service.
- Dr. Siripong Malasri (Civil & Environmental Engineering, Packaging) and Gene McGinnis (Civil & Environmental Engineering) were recognized for 25 years of service.
- Congratulations to Chisalu Jones (CE’13) for winning the Best in Show and People’s Choice Award at the TSPE Young Engineers’ Art Show held June 28, 2013 at the Robinson Archive & Gallery.
- Phyo Aung (CE & Packaging Engineering Certificate) and Alvin Siow (ChE & Packaging Engineering Minor) have recently been selected by TAPPI Foundation for a $1,000 scholarship each. The scholarship fund came from the TAPPI-CBU fundraising golf event last October, which raised a total of $2,500 for CBU packaging students.
- Doris Boyd (ChE’85) was the recipient of the Smart Award at the 2013 Girls Inc. celebration luncheon held at the FedEx Forum on June 27, 2013. Mrs. Boyd is Director of Environmental Affairs at Valero Memphis Refinery. She has been employed in the refining and chemicals industries for over 40 years, serving in various leadership roles, including Senior Chemist and Senior Environmental Supervisor. She is involved in the community as an active member in the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church and volunteer at the South Park Center for Girls Inc. Boyd was appointed to the Memphis and Shelby County Air Pollution Control Board by both mayors 2009 and reappointed in 2011. She also serves on the Valero Community Advisory Panel. Doris has been married for 40 years and has one son and two grandchildren.
- Greg Emerick (ME’97) has been promoted to the position of Technical Project Leader at Cummins, Inc. In this role he will serve as the Chief Engineer responsible for the design & development of one of the Company’s Next-Generation Diesel Engine Programs. In 2009, Greg earned a Master’s degree in Engineering Management from Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. Greg and his wife, Janie, and their two children currently reside in Columbus, Indiana.
- The St. Louis Society of Women Engineers (SWE) recently recognized Elise Ibendahl (CE’97), Senior Project Watershed Services Technologist, with the Private Sector Achievement Award. Recognized for her service to the engineering community in St. Louis, Ibendahl accepted her award at the CH2M HILL sponsored inaugural SWE banquet.
Congratulations to the following engineering freshmen who have been selected for the CBU Honors Program for the 2013-2014 academic year:
- Sydney Barnes, Mechanical Engineering
- Elijah Brown, Electrical Engineering
- Melissa Dollar, Electrical Engineering
- Cecile Everett, Mechanical Engineering
- Robert Feldmayer, Electrical Engineering
- Matthew Ohlwein, Engineering Management
- Salih Placo, Chemical Engineering
- Payton Powers, Mechanical Engineering
- Reggie Raney, Civil Engineering
- Sean Rowland, Computer Engineering
- Swamynathan Sriraman, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Randall Thomas, Civil Engineering
Congratulations to the newest School of Engineering Alumni!
John J. Archer – B.S. Engineering Management
Raymond P. Bedrossian – B.S. Electrical Engineering & B.S. Computer Science
Kathleen C. Branscum – B.S. Chemical Engineering
Stephen L. Bryson – B.S. Chemical Engineering
Whitney M. Burrell – B.S. Electrical Engineering
Chloe L. Chung – B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Nathan H. Coulston – B.S. Electrical Engineering
Jonathan D. Drapeau – B.S. Mechanical Engineering
LeAndreaonia Dunning – B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Irving O. Gabaldon – B.S. Civil Engineering
Mark Christian M. Galinato – B.S. Chemical Engineering
Cedric L. Harrell - B.S. Electrical Engineering
Nathaniel R. Jordan – B.S. Chemical Engineering
Sarah A. Kelly – B.S. Electrical Engineering
Edwin C. Kirkpatrick – B.S. Chemical Engineering
Mariel J. Meegan – B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Brian D. Ratcliffe – B.S. Chemical Engineering
Matthew T. Sanders – B.S. Civil Engineering
Ricky C. Sanders – B.S. Chemical Engineering
Michael W. Sanford – B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Lundy Shiue – B.S. Chemical Engineering
Nathan T. Short – B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Nicholaus P. Smith – B.S. Electrical Engineering
Adam J. Thornton – B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Martin J. Tribo – B.S. Electrical Engineering & B.S. Computer Science
Catherine V. Wood – B.S. Civil Engineering
William J. Zachary – B.S. Chemical Engineering
Sengkham Vongphrachanh – Master of Engineering Management
Robert L. Bell – M.S. Engineering Management
Crystal R. Farmer – M.S. Engineering Management
Andrew Harrell – M.S. Engineering Management
Lesley Judd – M.S. Engineering Management
Anna Kadura – M.S. Engineering Management
Nicholas B. Tabrizi – M.S. Engineering Management
Nashville, TN – Tim Verner, PE, (CE’84) Fisher & Arnold, Inc. has been named the 2013-2014 Treasurer for the Board of Directors of the American Council of Engineering Companies of Tennessee (ACEC of TN), an organization whose membership includes more than 100 engineering firms located across the state. Memphis engineer Patrick Neal, PE, Principal at Pickering Firm, Inc., has also been named the 2013-2014 Director at Large.
Verner has been with Fisher & Arnold, Inc. since their inception in 1986 and is responsible for their sanitary, civil, surveying, land development, planning and landscape architectural divisions. He is a licensed engineer in the states of Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas, is a member of the Tennessee Society of Professional Engineers, the American Society of Civil Engineers and the Society of American Military Engineers. He is a graduate of Christian Brothers University, with a B.S. in Civil Engineering.