Featured Alum: Dr. Margaret (Colleen) Hastings, 1996 Chemistry alum

I graduated from CBU in May 1996 with a Bachelor’s degree in chemistry and started medical school at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) in August of that same year. I still haven’t left the UTHSC. I completed med school in the top 10% of my class thanks to the terrific education that I was privileged to receive at CBU. It really felt good to do just as well as my classmates who had spent a fortune on Ivy League colleges.

After obtaining my M.D. in 2000, I finished training in a dual residency in internal medicine and pediatrics in 2004 and obtained board certification in both specialties. I am currently in the third year of a four year med/peds nephrology program. As part of my fellowship, I will finish a Master’s degree in epidemiology this spring. Epidemiology is the study of the distribution and determinants of disease. The Epi program has concentrated on the appropriate design and statistical analysis of clinical research. Though my primary research interests include renal transplantation and glomerular disease, I am excited to be the first author on an abstract examining the role of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in the prediction of increased left ventricular mass in children. This abstract was selected for a platform presentation at the Pediatric Academic Societies’/American Society of Pediatric Nephrology meeting in Toronto this spring.

My husband, Clay Rogers (CBU ’95), and I live in Lakeland, Tennessee with our two little girls. Emily is very proud to have recently celebrated her fourth birthday. Her sister, Kathryn, will have her first birthday in April. Clay works for XO Communications.