Featured Alum: Laura Williamson

I am a 2001 CBU graduate of the School of Science. I completed my coursework in December of the previous year, and immediately set out to find a full-time job at a small animal hospital. Something was telling me to wait to apply to vet school. I didn’t feel like I was ready on a maturity level or on a field-related experience level. I am so glad I waited. I ended up working for six years as a surgical technician at an extremely busy small animal practice. While some may think that is too long to wait, I am now in vet school with people twice my age, so it can be done at any time of your life. The years I worked were invaluable. Knowing exactly what to expect out of your profession, how to turn that profession into a career, and how to harness hard work and passion for what you do is something that I lived everyday while working as a veterinary technician. Not only did I learn the ins and outs of the veterinary profession on a clinical and business scale, but I also realized that this was exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, even on the worst of days (and there are plenty of those!). I eventually felt ready to apply to vet school, but after getting rejected to several U.S. schools I felt let down. How was I going to pursue my dream? Then one day I came across a flier at work from St. George’s University, on the island of Grenada in the Caribbean  After taking one look at the beautiful picture on the front, I decided that was where I would go to vet school! I love to travel, and I’ve always wanted to live abroad, so I figured I had nothing to lose by applying. I was not disappointed, and less than a year later I was on a plane to the south Caribbean.

Laura as a student in Dr. Ross’ Histology lab.

Being back in school again has been an adjustment after seven years out of the classroom, I will not deny that. But the thorough academic curriculum at CBU laid a solid groundwork for what was to come. The days I sat studying for hours for Dr. Ross’s histology class came to fruition when I made a perfect score on my first histology exam in vet school! I have not once felt like I am behind any of the other students that are younger and entered vet school directly out of college. I feel like I owe that largely to attending an academically superior university like CBU. Their science curriculum more than adequately prepared me for the intense workload that is a part of any medical school, veterinary or human. I look foward to graduating a licensed veterinarian, no matter what country I receive my degree in. I hope one day I can influence someone who has the same desires as I did.