Featured Alum: Raul Cardenas, M.D., Biology 1997

Raul with his lovely wife, Dr. Rowena DeSouza.

I was born in Memphis in 1975, probably while my dad was doing what I do today. My journey, so far, has taken me many places, but Memphis is still the one I remember with most fondness. I was raised in Merida, Mexico where I attended a Catholic high school. After finishing, I returned to Memphis at age 18 to obtain a college education. I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences with a minor in Chemistry from CBU, where I graduated with honors. In addition, I recall having a great time while at CBU. Afterwards, I attended Medical School in Nashville, TN where I received my medical degree in 2003, graduating near the top of my medical school class. I married my med-school sweetheart, Dr. Rowena DeSouza and, once my hectic life as a resident comes to an end, we wish to one day start a family. I credit her for all of my happiness today. After Med-school, I completed my surgical internship in 2004 at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, SC. Ever since then, I have been a Neurosurgery resident at LSUHSC-Shreveport, where I currently reside with my wife. Among other things, I have been the author of several publications and have also contributed to many scientific publication articles. I am a resident member of the Louisiana Neurosurgical Society, the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, and the Congress of Neurosurgical Surgeons. I am very proud to be a Physician, a third-generation Neurosurgeon and a CBU grad, and it means the world to me when I can return a patient back to his/her daily surroundings to have a meaningful and fulfilling life. Hopefully, my journey will bring me back to Memphis someday.