Note From the Dean

It is now fall (autumn). The sun is falling lower in the sky, and we are approaching winter. But this falling is usually accompanied by really nice weather. Not stormy like spring, not extreme like winter or summer. It is also FALL BREAK! Students have completed half of the fall semester and now have a week to re-energize. Some students, especially freshmen and sophomores, have received a wake-up call about what college is really about. Other students, especially the juniors and seniors, are starting to get deeper into their subjects and their majors. It is my hope and my expectation that all students are realizing how great and wonderful and full of promise the world is. It does take hard work, even for the brightest students. It does take disciplined thinking and time management. But it can be so, so rewarding! I personally love physics, and I want to share the beauty and power of my subject just like all of the professors wish to share their love of their subjects with their students.

In this issue we feature the Biology Department. In terms of majors it is the largest department. To complement the department’s health orientation, the newest member, Dr. James Moore, brings some youth and vigor to our environmental biology options. We have two feature articles in this issue: one on the Minority Health International Research Training (MHIRT) program which provides a tremendous opportunity for students to do, and get paid for, research in a completely new environment; and a second featured article on a couple of the tutors in the Math Center.

I hope you are enjoying these newsletters, and I look forward to sharing more of our work with you next month. If you have comments, questions or reactions, you may send an e-mail now to jholmes@cbu.edu .