The Happy Scientist

Moon on Halloween 2012 at Cooper Wilson

Halloween full moon setting by Cooper-Wilson Center for the Life Sciences.Can you find the moon among the lights?
Click on the image to see the same view at the same time one day earlier. Can you find the moon in this earlier image?

The devastation that super storm Sandy delivered shows both the power of nature and how far civilization has progressed. Certainly nature can deliver even more powerful events such as a large asteroid strike or a near star going super nova; and hopefully science, engineering, and civilization can progress much further than we presently have. It is our goal in the School of Sciences to advance that civilization as much as we can.

As important as advancing civilization is, the real goal is to make it possible for people to be happy. Here I don’t mean that being happy is simply being giddy. When are you most happy? For me, it is when I am doing my work and when I am interacting with my family, both immediate and extended (including those at CBU). Science is hard work, but science is also fun. I am often surprised at how much I enjoy teaching (and preparing for) my classes. I am also continually surprised at how tired I am after class. It is one of the things I try to include in my teaching: the learning of science is hard work and valuable, but it is also fun!

Our featured major in this issue is Computer Science. It can be a challenging major, but it can also be a very interesting major with great job prospects even in this market.

I hope you are enjoying these newsletters, and I look forward to sharing more of our work with you in February, after the holidays and after the start of the spring semester. If you have comments, questions or reactions, you may please contact me.