Thank You Notes to Sciences Faculty

The month’s note comes to Br. Joel Baumeyer, Professor Emeritus of Mathematics and Director of the Math Center, from a former student.

From: Stephen Allen
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:41 PM
To: Joel Baumeyer
Subject: Overdue gratitude

Dear Brother Joel,

It is unlikely that you remember me but I was a student of yours during the 1993/1994 academic year. While my performance in your Cal I & II courses may have ended in disappointment, the inspiration you provided has persisted for nearly 20 years. I spent only one year at CBU but my education continued at State Tech, Univ. of Memphis, Univ. of Central Arkansas, and Univ. of Arkansas at Little Rock. Along the way I earned degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, and Higher Education. For the past eight years I have worked in higher education serving as a teaching assistant, adjunct faculty, and tutor in the discipline of Mathematics.

Thanks and gratitude are hardly sufficient but are the least I can give you. Your passion for the subject and compassion for people left an indelible impression upon me. You are in part responsible for my good fortunes to this day. Thank you so much for what you gave me in the short time we spent together.

I immediately liked you when you commented on a M.C. Escher t-shirt that I was wearing as we passed each other in the stairwell.

Hope you are well,

Stephen Blue Allen