Featured Alum:

Our featured alum for this issue is
Jonathan Henderson, PT, DPT, Natural Science 2005

Jonathan Henderson

My name is Jonathan Henderson, and I graduated from CBU in 2005 with a B.S in Natural Science and a Minor in Biology.  When I started CBU, my original major was Biology, and I had hopes of attending medical school after graduation from college, but that was quickly changed after I took courses in Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Anatomy & Physiology all in the same semester my sophomore year.  So, as a Biology major, I enrolled in Biological Career Choices.  During that class, I had the opportunity to explore my options for post-professional degrees other than M.D., such as Dentistry, Optometry, and Nursing.  I still couldn’t see myself as either of those professionals.  So, I was introduced to Physical Therapy, and I immediately fell in love.

With the help of Dr. Eisen and his pre-professional health careers advice and Beta Beta Beta’s mock interviews, I was able to apply to various Physical Therapy schools with the necessary guidance and recommendation letters.  After graduation from CBU, I worked at Church Health Center’s Wellness Center as a Therapy Aide/Coordinator.  I then went on to get accepted and enroll in Alabama State University’s Physical Therapy program in Montgomery, AL.  Physical Therapy school was very, very challenging, and I don’t think that I would have survived if I had not experienced and learned through CBU’s challenging science courses. 

I graduated PT school with my Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) in 2010.  Currently, I work at Healthsouth Rehabillitation Hospital – North in Memphis.  There, I have served as a member of the Stroke Team, given staff inservices about patient mobility, served as a Certified Clinical Instructor for current PT students, and I am the 2012 Healthsouth NorthStar (patient survey’s employee of the year).  I love my career, and if not for CBU, I don’t think I would have ever fallen in love.