Featured Alum: Christina Brown Tran, Biology 2006

Christina Brown

Christina Brown

My name is Christina Brown Tran. I graduated from CBU in 2006 with a major in biology and minors in chemistry and behavioral science. I started CBU knowing that I wanted to go medical school to become a surgeon. However, life had different plans. I did not get accepted to medical school for the 2006-2007 school year and I was devastated. With the support of some amazing teachers and friends, I found my “plan B.” Little could I have known at the time, my new path would turn out to far surpass my original plan.

I got a job working as a clinic assistant at the Church Health Center, a not-for-profit clinic that provides healthcare for the working uninsured. Through that opportunity, I realized importance of service to the poor. I also went to graduate school and received a Master’s of Science in Epidemiology and worked on a childhood obesity study and a brain development study.

I started medical school in August of 2010 and it was terrible. It has been the hardest thing I have ever done- hours upon hours of studying, missing friends and family, and special events. I spent the first two years of medical school wondering if I had made the biggest mistake of my life. But, thankfully, third year changed everything. During the third and fourth years of medical school, students are let loose in clinics and hospitals. Third year has reminded me of why I have been studying so hard- to take care of my patients.

Through all the tears and laughter of the last eleven years, CBU has played a huge role in my life. I met some of my best friends in Dr. Ogilvie’s freshman biology. I met my husband in the Spain Auditorium. I met some of my best advocates in their shoebox offices in the old Science building. I was incredibly blessed to have had the opportunity to attend CBU.