Featured Alum: Robert Appling, D.P.M., Biology 2003

My name is Robert W. Appling.  I graduated from Christian Brothers University in 2003 with a Bachelor’s in Biology with Minors in Chemistry and Psychology.  Like many, I chose CBU for the excellent science department and overall reputation of the university.  During my grandfather’s final days, largely due to diabetes and many years of smoking, I began talking to the physicians I’d encounter.  Quite a few were CBU graduates.  Later in high school I came to CBU for a campus tour and met with Dr. Eisen to discuss what CBU had to offer.  I knew it was the right choice for me.

Dr. Robert Appling

Dr. Robert Appling

During my junior year at CBU, I began searching for the right career path.  A representative from a podiatric medical school came to CBU to discuss podiatric medicine and surgery.  I became interested in the field of podiatry due to the extent of diabetic care and limb salvage that modern podiatrists provide.  I began shadowing my current employer, Dr. Brian Shwer, at his office in Southaven.  I then applied for admission to several podiatric medical schools after visiting one in Chicago and one in Miami.  In 2008, I finished my Doctorate of Podiatric Medicine and began three years of surgical training in Atlanta.  After completing residency training, I moved back to the Memphis area to join Dr. Shwer’s practice.

Now that I am back in the Memphis area, I have devoted much of my practice to limb salvage.  I work in close conjunction with many cardiovascular surgeons that perform lower extremity revascularization as well as infectious disease physicians for the management of bone infection as surgery (amputation) is not the primary solution when there is a chance to heal.  Besides my passion of limb salvage surgeries, I also perform elective surgeries of the foot.   I am presently on staff with Baptist-DeSoto, Baptist-Memphis, Saint Francis-Memphis, Saint Francis-Bartlett, and multiple ambulatory surgery centers.    Without my educational foundations from CBU, I do not believe I would be where I am today.