Note from the Dean

Cooper-Wilson Center for the Life Sciences

A student in my Intro to Physics I class once told me that when he was in high school taking trig, he told his teacher that this subject was useless and that he would never use the sine function again.  He laughed when he told me that.  Anyone who has worked in science or math knows that basic trig comes up whenever you are dealing with 3-dimensional space and whenever you are dealing with things that oscillate like sound and light and cell phone signals (actually a form of light).  By the way, our featured department in this issue is the Physics Department!

Life is full of surprises, twists, and turns.  Who really knows what any one person will find absolutely essential and what will become superfluous.  It is my hope that our graduating students will have found some area to pursue that will bring them enjoyment as well as financial well-being.  It is also my hope that they will also carry away with them an enjoyment of learning and discovering new things.  See our featured alum in this issue for a nice example of this hope fulfilled.

In this last month of the academic year, I wish all of our students the best, and I hope they can find the time to appreciate the spring weather and each other.