Featured Alum 9/13: Huong Tran

Huong Tran and Alicia Scarborough

Huong Tran (left) with classmate and fellow CBU alum Alicia Scarborough at their Nursing graduation.

It has been a little over two years since I have graduated from Christian Brothers University. It seems like it was just yesterday that I was walking across the outdoor graduation stage receiving my undergraduate degree in natural science. Now, two years later, I just graduated from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center with my Masters in Nursing. I plan on going back to school in fall of 2014 to get my Doctorate in Family Nurse Practioner to travel to third world countries to teach others basic health care practices.

With that being said, I couldn’t have been more blessed to have graduated from an undergraduate college focused on empowering their students to serve their community and beyond. Christian Brothers taught me to push myself further than what my set expectations were, but I couldn’t have done it without the tremendous support of the staff members there. To this day, I remember Dr. Merat, Ms. Miller, Dr. Eisen, Dr. Ogilvie, you and MANY more to name off that saw the potential in me that I hadn’t seen in myself before.

Ms. Miller, especially, is a significant person in my life still. When I was at CBU I had done work study for her. She saw how dedicated I was and how much I wanted to learn the ins and outs of science. She trusted me to come in on my own free time to mix solutions for freshman labs and she was kind enough to give me access to one of the labs on a weekend to study in a quiet environment. SHE is the reason why I am passionate to help others and see others succeed. I get that epiphany feeling when things click because you have that person who is willing to be patient and who is willing guide you through the steps. Maybe I can even continue Ms. Miller’s legacy at CBU and come back to influence others on a path of learning and service; the Lasallian path.