Student Standpoints: Traveling Testimonial #1

by Jahleel Nelson (in Austria at FH Joannuem)

jahleel
I was initially nervous about traveling by myself to a country that I knew nothing about. They speak German in Austria, so there was the issue of language barrier. Furthermore, I was nervous about my courses (i.e., difficulty, curriculum, professors, etc.)

In fact, I didn’t actually choose Austria! I am studying Business Administration with a concentration in Hospitality and Tourism Management. The Hospitality concentration is fairly new to CBU’s School of Business, and CBU has a partner school in Bad Gleichenberg, Austria called FH Joannuem. In order to graduate with the Hospitality concentration, you must attend classes at FH Joannuem for a semester to receive your electives.

Bad Gleichenberg is much smaller than Memphis — maybe 2,000 people in the entire town. They love pork like us, yet they are more health-conscious. Furthermore, since the town is so small, everyone walks! The similarities between Memphis and Bad Gleichenberg are that everyone for the most part is really nice and friendly, the radio stations play American music, and everyone knows Elvis Presley. My favorite experience thus far has been meeting new people everyday. I have hour-long conversations about America, Memphis, and CBU with people who are amazed by what life is like in the U.S.

Study abroad is not just a period where you just go to school in a different country — it’s much more than that! The opportunity to learn about a culture that’s different from your own is one of the greatest things you can experience. Study abroad gives you the chance to find out who you really are as a person. Meeting new people, trying new food, sightseeing, and traveling to other countries are some of the perks as well!

Jahleel Nelson (Business Administration ’16)