The information below is intended to help you figure out what you need to do in order to graduate successfully from CBU. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
To qualify for a bachelor's degree from Christian Brothers University, you must complete all degree requirements as outlined while maintaining an overall Grade Point Average of at least 2.0 as well as a minimum average of 2.0 in satisfaction of major requirements. To fulfill residency requirements, 35 of the last 70 hours and at least 25% of total hours applied toward a degree must be earned at CBU (see school or department requirements for any further restrictions on courses in your major area). The 2.0 minimum Grade Point Average is also required in each of the optional minors and 50% of required courses must be taken at Christian Brothers University. Specific course requirements in major and minor fields are listed under 'Degree Requirements' for each school in the course catalog. Students may graduate under the catalog in effect when they enter Christian Brothers University or any subsequent catalog. You must notify the Registrar's Office if you want to upgrade to a subsequent catalog.
To qualify for a master's degree from Christian Brothers University, you must complete all degree requirements as outlined while maintaining an overall Grade Point Average of at least 3.0 (see specific graduate department for any further restrictions on courses).
Intent to Graduate
You must fill out an official Intent to Graduate Form with the Registrar's Office before you can graduate. If you fails to do this, you will graduate after this is done, and your graduation date will be the one after the form is completed.
- If you are planning to receive a diploma in May or August, you must file an application for a degree with the Office of the Registrar no later than December 1st.
- If you are planning to receive a diploma in December must file a graduation application by September 15.
Christian Brothers University has only one Graduation Ceremony a year in May, although there are three official graduation dates. You may graduate in May, August, or December. Only if you can complete your course work within the current academic year (Dec, May, or August) may you walk in the graduation ceremony.
As a graduating student, you have 3 business days after the official graduation date to remove any Incomplete grades, send in any transcripts from other universities, or have a grade changed in order to be graduated for a particular graduation date. Once you have graduated, your cumulative graduating GPA is locked in, and no grade changes can be made. Once you graduate and want to come back to take courses at Christian Brothers University, you must go back through the correct Admissions office to reapply.
- If you are a graduating senior who has attained a Grade Point Average of 3.70 to 4.00, you will be awarded honors of SUMMA CUM LAUDE.
- If you are a graduating senior who has attained a Grade Point Average of 3.50 to 3.69, you will be awarded honors of MAGNA CUM LAUDE.
- If you are a graduating senior who has attained a Grade Point Average of 3.20 to 3.49, you will be awarded honors of CUM LAUDE.