Programs & Services
One of the objectives of the Counseling Center is to promote drug education. Efforts to accomplish this goal include:
- Networking with alcohol and drug assessment/treatment facilities and intervention personnel in the Memphis area
- Maintaining a file of primary facilities with services offered, addresses, phone numbers, contact persons, etc.
- Providing workshops on alcohol and chemical education
- Providing information to faculty/staff as to signs/symptoms of chemical abuse and encouraging early intervention/referral
- Administering substance abuse surveys when requested/recommended
- Making referrals to an intervention specialist/treatment center when deemed appropriate
Personal Development Seminars & Workshops
Programming sponsored by the Counseling Center attempts to focus on the developmental needs and growth of college students by encouraging positive and realistic self-appraisal, appropriate personal choices, the ability to relate meaningfully and mutually with others, etc. Seminars/workshops offered include stress management, test anxiety, time management, alcohol and drug education, eating disorders, STDs, gender differences in communication, healthy relationships, acquaintance/date rape, values clarification, study skills, self-confidence and assertiveness, depression, anger management, etc.
Printed materials and tapes on a variety of topics are available in the Counseling Center. Topics include information on:
|Academics||Death and Grieving||Time Management|
|Addictive Relationships||Depression||Peer Pressure|
|Adult Children of Alcoholics||Disappointment||Perfectionism|
|Assertiveness||Grief and Loss||Study Skills|
|Campus Safety||Insecurity||Test Anxiety|
|Date Rape||Loneliness||Time Management|
Study Skills Assistance
Conferences with the Director of Counseling as well as the availability of printed materials on study skills are available in the Counseling Center. Topics include suggestions for Concentration, Exam Panic, Memory, Motivation Issues, Test Anxiety, Strategies for Taking Tests, Taking Useful Lecture Notes, Study Conditions, etc.