AVOID FINES! PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION CAREFULLY!
All University residence halls will close during Winter Break.
The residence halls will be closed for Winter Break from Friday, December 15, 2017 at 6:00pm until Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 8:00am. Spring semester classes begin on Monday, January 8, 2018.
Mandatory 24-hour Quiet Hours begin at midnight on Saturday, December 9, 2017 and last through Friday, December 15, 2017.
Resident students must check out of the residence halls for Winter Break, the week of December 11th through December 15th, 2017 within 24 hours after their last scheduled final exam or by 6:00pm on December 15th, whichever comes first. All residents must leave the day of their last exam unless they receive permission from the Director of Residence Life. The residence halls will close for all residents at 6:00 pm on the last day of final exams, Friday, December 15th, 2017. All residents must be out of their rooms by that time.
***During Winter break, the Facilities Department cleans all bathrooms. It is, therefore, necessary that all personal belongings and carpets be removed from the bathrooms to allow cleaning. ***
Two Options for Checkout:
Here are the details for checkout during the Christmas Break. Resident Students will have two options, (a) formal checkout with an RA or (b) Express Checkout.
Formal Process: (Sign up twenty-four hours in advance with an RA and schedule an appointment. (There will be a checkout schedule sheet located in the Student Life Office were you can sign up for an appointment.)
- RA’s will check the residents’ room and assure that all items in the ‘Going Home for the Holidays Email’ and winter checklist are completed. Winter Break Room Checklist
- The RA will also note any damage that has been or noticed in the room.
- The RA will retrieve the key, all forms and consider the resident officially checked out for the winter.
- The RA will return the completed materials back to the Director of Residence Life.
- The Director of Residence Life will organize all forms and keys.
Students will read and agree to the conditions listed on the Express Checkout form;
All students must complete the items listed in the “Winter Break Check-Out Information” email and on their Winter Break Room Checklist
Students will use the provided envelopes (RA’s should provide these for students and they are available in Student Life) to drop off their key, Express Checkout Waiver, and Winter Break Room Checklist
to the Campus Post Office mail slot (Located on the white door in the 24Hour Mailroom Entrance).
Office of Student Life staff will organize keys and forms.
Check-Out and Closing Procedures
All resident students, except those staying for Winter Break, must officially check-out during finals week, December 11th -15th.
To check out you must complete the following tasks:
Unplug all electrical appliances, (including power strips, alarms, phones and computers);
- You must remove all perishable food items from the room, micro fridge or refrigerators,
- Empty all trash cans (from room and section areas),
- Take all garbage to the dumpster and make sure garbage can is free of all debris.
- Room must be free of all other garbage like pizza boxes, empty beverage containers, etc.
- Empty recycling bin in the appropriate container.
- Take all valuables (Christian Brothers University is not responsible for lost or stolen articles),
- Close and lock all your windows. If any windows or locks are broken, please submit a maintenance request.
- Turn off all alarm clocks.
- Bathroom(s) need to be cleaned thoroughly: (Shower/tub - wiped out and free of any visible stains, hair, mold, etc.| Toilet - wiped out and free of any visible stains, debris, etc. | Sink - wiped out and free of any stains, debris, etc.| Floor - swept and mopped.)
- If you are living in a room by yourself (even if your roommate just moved out), but not paying the single room rate, you must have your room prepared for a roommate. This means one bed, one desk, one closet and half of the dresser drawers must be completely empty and clean.
- Do not forget your CBU ID, passport, medications or plane tickets.
- Turn off the lights and lock all doors.
- Complete any other items listed on the Winter Break Room Checklist (Available from your RA); and
- Sign up twenty-four hours in in the Student Life Office to schedule a checkout appointment with an RA. (There will be a checkout schedule sheet located in the Student Life Office were you can sign up for an appointment.) (Failure to schedule and same day notification may result in a fine).
Please note that resident students will not be able to re-enter their rooms over the break; thus, it is important to take home anything needed during this period.
Please note the following:
- Failure to vacate your room 24 hours after your last exam, meaning completely moved out by that time will result in an improper check out fine of $50 in addition to any other charges deemed appropriate by the Residence Life Staff. NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule will be tolerated.
- Residents may return to their rooms on January 7, 2018 at 8am. Random checks will be performed by Student Life and Campus Safety staff any violations will be referred for disciplinary action.
- Any student found to occupy a room after the semester has ended without permission from the Office of Student Life will be fined and possibly referred for disciplinary action as specified in The Compass, Student Handbook sections 8. B. 5. and 8. B. 23.
Canceling Room for Spring Semester
If you are graduating, transferring or withdrawing, please do the following:
- Follow the checkout procedures listed above.
- Clean your room and restore the room to its original condition.
- Remove all personal belongings.
- Turn in your mailbox key to the Mail Room and provide your forwarding address.
- If you do not complete a Housing Withdrawal through your BannerWeb login before January 1, 2018, you will continue to be billed for a space in the residence halls for the Spring 2018 semester. You will also be charged a late cancellation fee by canceling after this date.
Please note the following:
All University dining locations will close on Friday, December 15, 2017 at 1:30pm. Alfonso Dining Hall re-opens with dinner at 4:30pm on Sunday, January 7, 2018. Regular meal service hours will resume the following morning for all locations.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR FINALS!
Drive safely and have a wonderful Winter Break!