To follow is a fairly universal checklist of things you should bring to your new "Home Away From Home" at Christian Brothers University:
Bring These Items For Your Room
- Bed Linens
- Alarm Clock
- Laundry Bag/Basket
- Laundry Detergent
- Dishwashing Liquid
- Waste Basket
- Shower Shoes
- Ethernet Cable
Other Extras You May Want to Bring
- Table Lamp
- Computer and/or Typewriter
- Plastic Cutlery/Cups
- Sewing Kit
- Portable TV
- Small Portable Ironing Board
- Small Microwave Oven
- Refrigerator (Max 7.0 cubic feet)
- Extension Cords
- Surge Protectors
- Automatic Shower Cleaner
Items to leave at home
The following items are NOT permitted in the residence halls:
- Wireless hub (wireless routers are against campus policy; their default configuration interferes with the Internet connectivity of rooms around you)
- Halogen lamps or halogen bulbs of any kind
- Hotplate, skillet, toaster, toaster oven, rice cooker, George Foreman Grill, or similar cooking or high-wattage appliances with exposed surfaces
- Air conditioner or personal cooling unit, electric or space heater
- Candles (regardless if used for lighting or decoration), kerosene heater, incense, scent pot burners, or other fire hazards
- Pets (except fish, tank must be 10 gallons or less)
- Nail picture hangers (no nails or thumbtacks in woodwork or walls)
- Constructions (such as “lofts” or “room dividers”) are not allowed in the residence halls, and standard room furnishings cannot be moved out of your room or stored. Weapons, including air pellet, soft pellet, water, paintball, or BB guns; swords; knives; etc.
- Oversized stereo speakers
- Your own mattress
Available On Campus:
- On-sight laundry facilities are available in Avery, Maurelian, Rozier and Stritch.
- Each Capstone Apartment is equipped with a full size washer and dryer.
- The University strongly recommends that residents secure renters’ insurance for the contents of their rooms. The University’s insurance does NOT cover room contents.
- Study/TV Lounges
- Cable TV connections
- Snack & Soda Machines
- 24 hour accessible computer labs
- Activities and programs
- Lots of new friends
- Helpful and concerned staff
When you are packing for your first trip to Christian Brothers University, don't forget that you will have vacations at Fall Break, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break. Unless you are far from home, you will not need to bring a year's supply of clothing and incidentals. This will allow you more space in your room. Check with your roommate, if possible, and coordinate bringing any extras such as a TV, stereo, etc.
Hot plates and pets (other than small fish) are not allowed. Check with your insurance company and make sure that your possessions are covered while away from home. If not, you should check into acquiring personal property insurance.
back to top