Internships are a valuable part of the college experience. Across the university, these opportunities to gain career related experience can vary in many ways.
Internship opportunities that are offered for pay can be posted with our office through our CareerLinX system. Students can apply through the system or directly to employers by whatever parameters that are specified.
- Internships can be paid, for academic credit, or both.
- The time commitment usually averages to 10-20 hours per week.
- Paid internships typically range anywhere from $10.00 to $20.00 per hour, depending on the nature of the work performed.
- Internships can be performed on a part-time basis during each semester, and/or a full-time basis during summer months.
Through the CBU Academic Internship Program, CBU students will have access to internship opportunities across the Memphis area. Theories and formulas learned in the classroom will take on new meaning as they are applied in business, government, and non-profit environments. The Academic Internship Program, as coordinated by Career Services, allows for consistency across campus in terms of student application process; employer communication; and data collection.
Academic Internship Guidelines
- The internship must be related to one or more of the academic departments at CBU.
- The intern's work must be project-oriented. No more than 25% of the work should involve clerical responsibilities (such as faxing, copying, answering phones, cold calling, and filing).
- The intern must report to a professional staff member.
- The intern supervisor must meet with the intern at the beginning of the term to provide an orientation and to explain responsibilities and expectations.
- The intern supervisor is encouraged to provide feedback to the intern throughout the internship. A formal evaluation of the student will be requested by Career Services at the end of the semester.
- The intern must work approximately 8 to 10 hours
per week for a 3 hour credit internship. Approximately 5 hours of work per week
must be completed for a 1 hour credit internship and 8 hours per week for a 2
hour credit internship. The internship lasts for approximately 15 weeks and can
occur each Spring and Fall semester.
- The internship does not require pay in that the student will receive academic credit. However, the student MAY receive compensation if the employer chooses to pay the intern.
- Sophomore, Junior or Senior with a 2.50 Overall GPA.
- The student must obtain faculty approval from the department awarding the credit on the Internship Application and sign the General Waiver/Release.
- The student must compete a "Request for Internship" form and obtain all required signatures and submit the form to Academic Affairs before the add/drop date for the semester in which the student is completing the internship.
- Internships must be completed during the semester/term in which the student is receiving credit for the experience. No retroactive credit will be given. To receive credit for summer internships, students must pay summer tuition per credit hour.
- The intern must inform the internship supervisor of requested time off and arrange to make up time missed in order to complete hour requirements. The intern must abide by the employer's policies regarding conduct, dress, and protocol.
- The intern is expected to complete all assignments in a thorough and timely fashion.
- Throughout the internship term, the student is encouraged to seek feedback from the supervisor. The student will complete an evaluation of the internship experience at its conclusion.
Employer Application Process
- Complete the online Academic Internship Proposal Form.
- Receive notification of approval from Career Services Director.
- Once approved, the internship site will be listed on the approved list of academic internships for Fall and Spring semesters.
Career Opportunity Scholarship
The Career Opportunity Scholarship empowers deserving CBU
students to participate in the Academic Internship Program, which places them
in businesses and nonprofits throughout the region. By providing
financial assistance to meet student need—both anticipated and unanticipated—
CBU will ensure that all students have equal access to the internship
opportunities provided by the Office of Career Services.
The Scholarship is
provided to students who participate in unpaid internships to support them in
their pursuit of a career oriented experience. Maximum award is based on
need, number of recipients per semester, and the discretion of the Career
Services Director. Scholarships can be used for expenses, such as internship
travel, text book assistance, childcare, and meal plans.
To apply for the Career Opportunity Scholarship, click here.
Application Deadlines: 2015 Fall Semester – August
14, 2015; 2016 Spring Semester – December 18, 2015