Compensation Philosophy of Christian Brothers University
Approved by Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees on January 6, 2015.
As a Catholic University in the Lasallian tradition, our mission is educating minds, touching hearts, and remembering the presence of God. Our values are based upon the beliefs and educational philosophy of St. John Baptist De La Salle, founder of the De La Salle Christian Brothers, who advocated education for the poor; a just and living wage for employees; and dignity and respect for each individual as a unique person created in the image of God. In line with our mission and values, we are committed to hiring, retaining, and motivating faculty and staff with competitive total compensation packages so that we can provide an excellent education for our students and a safe, supportive learning environment for all.
Our mission is a lived reality in our community. Each of our faculty and staff will work together in the spirit of Lasallian association for the benefit of our students. The university will operate in a model of continuous improvement, marked by respect and transparency, while striving to become an employer of choice. Through its total compensation program the university seeks to accomplish two primary goals: to attract, retain, and motivate a highly talented, diverse workforce and to encourage and reward workplace activities that support the university’s overall goals and objectives. Our total compensation system will be grounded in the guiding values listed below:
– Christian Brothers University values faculty and staff as its most vital resource for advancing its mission and programs. Compensation policies and procedures will align with the university’s overall mission and support the university’s long-term direction.
– Our compensation, policies, and procedures will be competitive with comparable universities based on appropriate external markets.
Justice and Equity
– Total compensation will recognize the dignity of each person and provide a living wage. Internal equity is balanced by the level of contribution to the university as well as individual performance. Just compensation places a special emphasis on affordable benefits such as healthcare and retirement, as well as opportunities for continuing education and professional development.
– Christian Brothers University will design and administer compensation packages in a financially sustainable manner to ensure good stewardship of our resources and financial stability.
– Christian Brothers University will administer the compensation program in a transparent manner. The university will communicate clearly the compensation policies, structures, and performance criteria in an open and collaborative process and will strive to administer its compensation plan in a competent, consistent, and impartial fashion.