CBU | 5th Year / Plus One Programs

Enter your search term & enter. Esc or X to close.

The Rosa DealSchool of Arts

5th Year / Plus One Programs

Christian Brothers University undergraduates participate in intensive study in the arts and sciences, thus ensuring that those who choose teaching careers have strong content knowledge, as well as, excellent pedagogical preparation.

With the exception of Early Childhood Education PreK-3 and Special Education Modified K-12, which are still available through conventional four-year degrees (B.A. Child Development and B.A. Special Education, respectively), undergraduate programs for educator preparation are initially linked to B.A. and B.S. degrees followed by a "fifth-year" that culminates in earning a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree for professional studies in education. Strong preparation in the arts and sciences comes first, followed by a focus on pedagogy in the MAT.

Students may begin their professional education coursework during their senior year at CBU. The majors offered in support of initial teaching licensure are in:

  • B.A. Cultural Studies (for Middle Grades 6-8 licensure)
  • B.A. English (for English 6-12 licensure)
  • B.A. History (for History 6-12 licensure)
  • B.A. Liberal Studies (for Elementary Education K-6 licensure)
  • B.A. Mathematics (for Mathematics 6-12 licensure)
  • B.S. Natural Science (for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and/or Mathematics 6-12 licensure)
  • B.S. Chemistry (for Chemistry 6-12 licensure)
  • B.S. Physics (for Physics 6-12 licensure)
  • B.F.A. in Visual Arts (for Visual Arts K-12 licensure)

Several licensure tracks are designed to permit double endorsements through a minor in another content area. For course paradigms, please see the CBU Academic Catalog

How it works:

  • Choose your specialty area as your undergraduate major.
  • Meet with your advisor and inform him/her that you want to follow the '5th-year paradigm.' At that time, you will be assigned a secondary advisor in the Department of Education.
  • During your junior/senior year, apply to the Master of Arts in Teaching program through the Department of Education.