CBU offers an exciting and money-saving option through the Fifth Year Plus One Program. While earning your undergraduate degree, you can begin professional education coursework and complete your Master of Arts in Teaching degree in only one extra year.
- Strong preparation in the arts and sciences followed by a focus on the art of teaching
- Professional education coursework during the senior year
Eligible majors for the program:
- BA Cultural Studies (for middle grades 6-8 licensure)
- BA English (for English 6-12 licensure)
- BA History (for history 6-12 licensure)
- BA Liberal Studies (for elementary education K-6 licensure)
- BA Mathematics (for mathematics 6-12 licensure)
- BS Natural Science (for biology, chemistry or physics 6-12 licensure)
- BS Biology (for biology 6-12 licensure)
- BS Chemistry (for Chemistry 6-12 licensure)
- BS Physics (for Physics 6-12 licensure)
- BFA in Visual Arts (for Visual Arts K-12 licensure)
How it Works
- Choose your specialty area as your undergraduate major.
- Meet with your advisor and inform him/her that you want to follow the Fifth Year Plus One plan. (At that time, you may meet with an advisor in the Education Department to discuss benefits of the MAT program.)
- Apply to the Master of Arts in Teaching program through the Department of Education during your senior year. Undergraduate students may take up to 6 hours of MAT courses (EDFD 600 and CIED 600) that will be waived at the graduate level.
For additional information, see the Master of Arts in Teaching page.
Christian Brothers University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and approved by the State Department of Education of Tennessee as a Teacher Training Institution. CBU is a member of the National Catholic Educational Association and the Tennessee Association of Colleges.
Ready to take the next step toward becoming a CBU student? Schedule a visit, request more information, or apply online.