M.A.T: for people who already hold a bachelor's degree and wish to obtain initial teaching licensure. The degree is also available to candidates interested in pursuing transitional licensure.
Licensure-Only Program: for people who already hold a bachelor's degree but who do not wish to obtain a graduate degree. The program is also available to candidates interested in pursuing transitional licensure.
CBU's Initial Teaching Licensure Programs (Master of Arts in Teaching & Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program Licensure-Only) are designed to provide initial teaching licensure at one of the following levels:
- Art K-12 (Visual Arts)
- Biology 6-12
- Chemistry 6-12
- Early Childhood Education PreK-4
- Elementary Education K-5
- English 6-12
- History 6-12
- Mathematics 6-12
- Middle Grades Education 6-8 (all content areas)
- Physics 6-12
- Reading Specialist PreK-12 (only available in conjunction with another area)
- Spanish, French, German, Latin PreK-12
- Special Education Interventionist K-8 or 6-12
The M.A.T. program admits only those individuals who wish to earn an initial teaching license and a graduate degree simultaneously. Tennessee requires that all individuals seeking initial teaching licensure must provide evidence of a strong general education and mastery of a major in the arts or sciences earned at the undergraduate level.
The current minimum GPA requirement is a 2.75 for admission to the program. Also, passing scores on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - 5751, must be received before admissions into the program.
Content knowledge tests must be taken and passed upon first 12 hours of coursework. Candidate must register for and take the tests within the first 8 weeks of their second semester (within first 4 weeks if summer is second semester) and CBU must receive passing test scores by the end of the 16 weeks of the candidate’s second semester (by the end of the 8 weeks if summer is second semester) in order for candidate to continue with any further coursework.
State and national standards for initial teaching licensure may mandate that an individual complete undergraduate deficiencies in either general education or a major area in the arts or sciences, in addition to required graduate credit hours. We must also have two official copies of transcripts from each college/university you have previously attended one for our university records and the other for the Tennessee Dept. of Education for licensing purposes.
Licensure requirements include:
- Successful completion of any identified undergraduate or other content deficiencies
- Field experiences
- Internal and external assessments, including the Praxis II tests.
Completion of coursework for the degree must be complemented by successful completion of all licensure requirements before CBU recommends for the license.
Before you apply
Familiarize yourself with the following documents:
- $35.00 Application Fee Pay Online Now
- MAT Online Application - This is the application for the Master of Arts in Teaching Program. If interested in the Post-Baccalaureate TEP, Licensure-Only, please select the appropriate option on the application.
- Please be prepared to upload the following information as you complete the online application:
- Work Samples (if applicable)
- Letter of Recommendation Recieptient Email Address
- Goals Essay, Philosophy of Education, and Autobiographical Sketch
- Letters of recommendation: As part of the application, you will be asked to provide email addresses of individuals to contact regarding recommendations. Please select two of the following:
- Spiritual Mentor
- Professor/Faculty Member
- Employer or supervisor (work or volunteer experience)
- Peer (roommate, friend but NOT a family member)
For more information, contact the Education Department at GraduateEducation@cbu.edu or (901) 321-4350.