M.A.T: for people who already hold a bachelor's degree and wish to obtain initial teaching licensure. The degree is also available to candidates interested in pursuing transitional licensure.
Licensure-Only Program: for people who already hold a bachelor's degree but who do not wish to obtain a graduate degree. The program is also available to candidates interested in pursuing transitional licensure.
CBU's Initial Teaching Licensure Programs (Master of Arts in Teaching & Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program Licensure-Only) are designed to provide initial teaching licensure at one of the following levels:
- Art K-12 (Visual Arts)
- Biology 6-12
- Chemistry 6-12
- Early Childhood Education PreK-4
- Elementary Education K-5
- English 6-12
- History 6-12
- Mathematics 6-12
- Middle Grades Education 6-8 (all content areas)
- Physics 6-12
- Reading Specialist PreK-12 (only available in conjunction with another area)
- Spanish, French, German, Latin PreK-12
- Special Education Interventionist K-8 or 6-12
The M.A.T. program admits only those individuals who wish to earn an initial teaching license and a graduate degree simultaneously. Tennessee requires that all individuals seeking initial teaching licensure must provide evidence of a strong general education and mastery of a major in the arts or sciences earned at the undergraduate level. The current minimum GPA requirement is a 2.75 for admission to the program. Candidates must also pass the Content Knowledge Praxis II test in the area they are seeking licensure prior to admission to the program.
EXCEPTION FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING LICENSURE IN SPECIAL EDUCATION – must pass a Praxis II Content Knowledge test in the academic area they wish to be considered highly qualified (e.g., elementary or one of the subject areas for high school, such as English, Math, etc.) – the other will be taken after completing several courses. When individuals have deficiencies in required undergraduate subject areas, state and national standards for initial teaching licensure mandates that these individuals take subject area courses in addition to the required graduate credit hours.
CBU also requires two official copies of transcripts from each college/university previously attended. One will be kept with CBU records and the other will be sent to the Tennessee Department of Education during the licensure application process.
Licensure requirements include:
- Successful completion of any identified undergraduate or other content deficiencies
- Field experiences
- Internal and external assessments, including the Praxis II tests.
Completion of coursework for the degree must be complemented by successful completion of all licensure requirements before CBU recommends for the license.
Before you apply
Familiarize yourself with the following documents:
- MAT Application Form - This is the application form for the Master of Arts in Teaching Program. We recommend that all applicants complete this application and if it is determined through the application review and interview process that your situation would better fit the Post-Baccalaureate TEP, Licensure-Only, we will provide that application to you at that time.
For more information, contact the Education Department at GraduateEducation@cbu.edu or (901) 321-4350.