Christian Brothers University has partnered with Teach for America to offer a tailored 33 hour M.Ed. degree, which includes: 18 hours of core courses, 6 hours of electives, and 9 hours of experiential learning credit. Experiential credit will be posted for the following courses:
|| Credit Hours
|CIED 606 Classroom Leadership
|CIED 605 Urban Teaching Strategies
|EDFD 608 Fundamentals of Urban Education
|Total credit hours earned through this partnership:
Graduate M.Ed. tuition is $565 per credit hour. CBU offers a 25% tuition discount for all TFA members. There may also be AmeriCorps funds available to TFA members that can further offset tuition. Please contact your TFA representative for more information about AmeriCorps funds.
Experiential Credit Cost:
CBU assesses a fee of $150 per credit hour for experiential learning credit, for a total cost of $1,350.00. This is charged in the place of tuition. Tuition for a comparable number of credit hours is substantially greater, so TFA students receive an amazing discount for these courses through our partnership!
The advantage of completing your M.Ed. at CBU is that our program offers a much more personal approach than other programs; particularly online programs. You will know your professors and your peers, and you will build working relationships that last beyond the classroom. The M.Ed. is a mix of traditional face-to-face lecture courses, hybrid courses, and online courses. It has been created to meet the needs of the working classroom teacher and offers a specific perspective for teachers who work within the Memphis metro area. The degree will prove valuable whether you stay in the Memphis Metro area or move to another state to teach.
Students in the Master of Education program for Teach for America typically enter the CBU Program in the summer or fall following their first year of teaching service. If your situation does not match this, please contact the Education Department at GraduateEducation@cbu.edu.
- Complete the application form. Please DO NOT send application materials such as transcripts without first having an application on file. Make sure that your application includes an area for signature from a TFA official.
- You will be exempted from admissions testing if the cumulative grade point average for your undergraduate degree was at least a 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) AND you have passed all Praxis II tests for your licensure area.
- If you are not exempted from admissions testing, you will need to present passing scores on either the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The minimum score on the MAT is 40; the passing score on the GRE is 900, based on combining the scores for the qualitative and quantitative portions of the test, with a minimum score of 4.5 on the analytic writing portion.
- Essay on your philosophy of teaching and education. You may address any of the following topics: the purpose of schooling in society; the role of leadership in the life of a school; the educational needs of today's students; what kind of curriculum is important in the 21st century; what constitutes effective school leadership; the role of the school leader in today's society; or the qualities that characterize excellence in leadership.
- Copy of Teaching License.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Student copies will not be accepted. The transcript must be sent directly from the university to CBU Graduate and Professional Studies.
- Copies of all Praxis II tests completed up to this point.
Send all items to:
Christian Brothers University - Education Department
650 East Parkway South
Memphis, TN 38104
- For January entry: all application materials must be received, and interview must be conducted before the last week of December.
- For June entry: all application materials must be received, and interview must be conducted before the last week of May.
- August entry: all application materials must be received, and interview must be conducted before the last week of July.
Experiential Learning Assessment
During the first semester of enrollment, TFA students complete the Experiential Learning Assessment Form to have the 9 hours of experiential learning credit posted to their academic record. Please review the Instructions and then see the Department of Education for the form and attachments.
NOTE: This webpage is meant as a resource for those who are current participants in Teach for America. To apply to Teach for America, please apply with the organization directly.