New Student Orientation
Congratulations on your decision to attend CBU. During your first year, you will embark on a journey of personal, educational, and career exploration and growth!FALL 2021 NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION SCHEDULE
Click below for overviews of what you can expect over the next few months. Check your CBU email daily for these important components of your New Student Onboarding & Orientation.
- CBU offers English, Spanish, French, and Math Placement Tests to help you ensure you are at the right level for our learning. Most incoming students are required to take one or more placement tests before they register for classes.
- Within a week of you receiving your Welcome Email, Academic Services will send you an email if you need to take one or more Placement Tests. If you have not yet received an invitation to complete Placement Testing and believe this is in error, email email@example.com immediately.
- Placement Testing will be provided primarily in an online format for students who have access to a laptop or desktop computer. For students unable to test online or prefer an in-person option, on-campus testing options will be provided at a later time.
Welcome to CBU Checklist
Follow this guide to make sure all of your business is squared away before the semester begins!
Beginning on April 25, you’ll work with your Academic Services Advisor to determine which classes you should take this spring to make sure you’re starting off strong!
Hybrid New Student & Family Orientation: “Bucs on Deck” and “Navigate CBU”
Summer 2021 New Student Orientation will be offered in a two-part hybrid format. First, you’ll learn valuable information through virtual modules, and then you’ll attend an in-person, two-day Navigate CBU event.
- Bucs on Deck: Virtual New Student Orientation — Watch your email: access information will be sent after you register for Navigate CBU (below).
- You’ll get familiar with CBU staff, resources, and tips to make your time at CBU the most successful and enjoyable it can be! Students should complete Bucs on Deck before attending their in-person Navigate CBU session. Register for Navigate CBU to get access to Bucs on Deck.
- Navigate CBU: In-Person New Student Orientation — Register today!
- Connect all that you learned in Bucs on Deck to the actual CBU campus! During Navigate CBU, you’ll build relationships with your advisor, student leaders, and other faculty and staff who will support you in your CBU journey… all while familiarizing yourself with the gorgeous CBU campus!
- First-time freshmen will register for a two-day in-person experience. Transfer students can choose to attend either a first-time freshmen session, or a special half-day transfer student session on August 10.
- Orientation Guide — assigned after Navigate CBU registration
- You’ll connect with two experienced CBU students who can help you in preparing for Navigate CBU, completing your Welcome to CBU Checklist, and helping you adjust to college!
- New Parent & Family Orientation — Register today!
- Your family members will play valuable supporting roles in your CBU journey. They will receive a hybrid Orientation experience consisting of virtual resources and a one-day in-person Orientation at the same time you complete Navigate CBU.
Memphis Reads @ CBU
Memphis Reads @ CBU is CBU’s first-year summer reading program and connects with Memphis Reads, a community-wide common reading program. The program gives new students a common academic experience and connects them with the CBU and Memphis communities. Students will receive a hard copy of the book Thick and Other Essays by Tressie Cottom McMillan at Navigate CBU. For more information about events associated with the Memphis Reads program, contact Dr. Karen Golightly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome Weekend is for both residential and commuter students and is an integral part of the First Year Experience. All first-year freshmen are required to attend. You’ll have an opportunity to learn more about campus, give back to the community, enjoy activities, and start building lifelong friendships. For more information, contact the Office of Student Development & Campus Life at email@example.com.