Christian Brothers University provides access to its host computer facilities for all faculty, staff and
registered students of the University. The following Code applies to all users of the CBU network
and computing systems.
In the pursuit of its mission, CBU aims specifically to develop students’ capabilities for the intelligent
and responsible use of information technologies. However, through ignorance or by intent, it is
possible for users to disrupt the work of others, harm the computer/network/telephone equipment
and software or perform illegal activities.
Since ITS (Information Technology Services) is responsible for securing the CBU network and
computing systems against unauthorized use while providing for legitimate access, the following
standards of conduct shall be adhered to by users. For those found in violation of the Code of
Conduct for IT Resources, ITS will direct the violation(s) to the proper governing bodies. Please be
aware that in some cases, these bodies may be local, state or federal.
The following words shall be defined once here and used within this document to help simplify and
clarify this Code of Conduct for IT Resources:
- Users -- faculty, staff, registered students or others accessing services provided
- CBUnet -- those computers, printers, network, telecommunications equipment,
card readers, software and other devices owned and/or maintained by ITS.
General IT Usage Policies
The following terms and conditions are in effect for the use of the CBUnet:
Access to both CBUnet and the Internet, provided by CBU, is a privilege that all users have
and must respect.
- Abuse of these privileges may cause the user to lose some or all access.
Abusive use may be seen as, but not limited to:
- Activities conducted from computer accounts issued by ITS, University owned
computers, or personally owned computers, all of which may be connected to the
- Deprive others of CBUnet resources such as excessive use of bandwidth or excessive
use of server resources,
- Infringe on others’ use of the facilities, such as conducting non-academic
activities that prevent others from performing academic work,
- Malicious acts created within the CBUnet, such as unsolicited email, propagation
of worms and viruses, changing computer configurations, copying or installing
unauthorized software or events leading to or unauthorized entry into another device,
- Unauthorized downloading, copying, or distribution of copyrighted software,
documentation or electronic media, all a direct violation of this Code and Federal law
70 | Page
which carries maximum criminal fines of up to $250,000 and imprisonment up to 5
- Retrieval or sending of lewd or pornographic materials.
- Use of threatening language in public or private messages
- Commercial use is prohibited for all users, such as, but not limited to, selling services or products
over the CBUnet.
- It is the user’s responsibility to keep their computer passwords confidential. Users may not use
computer accounts other than his or her own, and users may not release password information
to anyone else.
- It is the user’s responsibility to keep their long distance access code and voice mail passwords
confidential. Abuse of these privileges may cause the user to lose some or all access. Abuse may
be seen as, but not limited to:
- Prank or harassing telephone calls
- Users may not use access codes other than his or her own
- Users may not release password information to anyone else
The maintenance of computers not owned by the University is the sole
responsibility of the owner.
- Privacy of electronic transmissions across network devices is solely the
responsibility of the sender (encryption software can be used to safeguard
- CBU reserves the right to monitor any data on the CBUnet.
- CBU will not be held liable if a user’s personal data is lost or becomes corrupt.
- You may stop by the ITS Helpdesk in the ITS Center to pick up your new account
or reset password. You must present a photo ID when picking up your username
- Your USER-ID will be valid as long as you remain an active student/faculty/staff at Christian Brothers University.