A unique opportunity awaits you as a participant in CBU’s Lasallian Teacher Residency (LTR) program. Our one-year service and residency program will provide you with a chance to pursue your initial teacher licensure while teaching underprivileged and at-risk youth in Memphis. Working in area schools, you will meet challenges, celebrate victories, and grow as an educator as you experience teaching as a lifelong expression of Christian commitment and service to others.
In the tradition of the Christian Brothers, LTR emphasizes core Lasallian values in its program mission:
- Educating the poor and underserved through inspired and excellent teaching
- Providing individualized and caring attention to each student
- Regarding teaching as a corporate and communal exercise
- Contributing to compassion and justice-seeking in each school where participants teach
The Lasallian tradition began in 1680 with the vision and innovative spirit of Saint John Baptist de La Salle, the founder of the Institute of the Brothers of Christian Schools and the patron saint of teachers. Lasallian education centers on Catholic values and personal relationships, emphasizing academic excellence, faith formation, inclusion, respect for the individual, service, and social justice.
As an LTR participant, you will receive support and guidance from CBU faculty and staff as well as the administrators of the service school where you teach.
Service School’s Commitment to LTR
Participating service schools will:
- Allow time off for you to attend required retreats and fall/spring university classes
- Meet with CBU’s LTR director as needed
- Observe and evaluate you in the classroom
LTR’s Commitment to the Service School
- Develop coursework that will prepare you for teacher licensure in Tennessee
- Conduct monthly retreats to support your growth as a teacher
- Visit the school on a regular basis to observe you in the classroom
- Participate in meetings with the school principal as needed to assess your performance and the effectiveness of the program
- Provide additional support in the classroom if necessary
You must hold an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.
- One-year program with a two-year commitment to teach in the service school
- Monthly stipend from your service school (on a 12-month schedule)
- Retreats throughout the year
- Interaction with and support from other LTR participants
- Mentoring from your service school and CBU education faculty and staff
- Preparation for teacher licensure for the state of Tennessee
How to Apply
Please review the following information before applying. If at any time you have questions pertaining to the application process, contact the program director, Colleen Boyette at email@example.com.
Step 1: Professional Exams
Praxis Core Test: This series of tests is required for all applicants. Request scores be sent to Christian Brothers University.
- Reading Score: 156 minimal passing score
- Writing Score: 162 minimal passing score
- Math Score: 150 minimal passing score
Praxis Content Knowledge: The area of your desired licensure will determine which content knowledge test you will need to take. Visit the Tennessee test requirements, https://www.ets.org/praxis/tn/requirements.
For registration or more information on the Praxis Core Test, visit www.ets.org.
Step 2: LTR Application
Upload the following information as you complete the online application:
- Resume with a list of your work experiences and extracurricular activities
- Two essays
- Philosophy of Teaching
- Goals Essay describing your goals in obtaining your teaching license.
- Letters of recommendation:
- Provide email addresses for three of the following individuals:
- Spiritual mentor
- Professor/faculty member
- Employer or supervisor (work or volunteer experience)
- Peer (roommate, friend but NOT a family member)
- $25.00 application fee - payable to LTR, or pay online
Step 3: Official Transcripts
Request official transcript(s) from every college or university where you received credit be sent by mail or electronically to Christian Brothers University at the following address:
Christian Brothers University
Attn: LTR Program Office, Box 101
650 East Parkway South
Memphis, TN 38104
Step 4: Interview Process
Once your application has been processed, you will be contacted to come in for an interview.