REQUEST MORE INFO
The Lasallian Teacher Residency Program emphasizes the following core Lasallian values in its program mission and preparation of teacher residents:
- Through the Lasallian ideal, "Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve," we prepare our teacher residents to be educators of students who experience poverty, lack equal and equitable access to post-secondary opportunities and experience educational injustices.
- Through the Lasallian ideal, "Respect for All Persons," we prepare our teacher residents to be in a concerted effort to respect the dignity of all students by building lasting relationships with all students, families, and teammates in the schools and communities in which they serve.
- Through the Lasallian ideal, "Teaching Minds and Touching Hearts" and inspired and excellent teaching we prepare our teacher residents with the knowledge, skills, and mindsets needed to prepare their students not only for college and career but also for life.
- Through the Lasallian ideal, "The Lasallian Family," we prepare our teacher residents to respect the diversity of their students and to meet the diverse academic and social-emotional needs of students, where no student is left behind, and where every student finds a place and has a sense of belonging.
LTR's Commitment to the Resident
- Prepare you for teacher licensure in Tennessee led by our CBU faculty and staff
- Prepare you for your Master of Art in Teaching led by our CBU faculty and staff
- Bimonthly seminar to: support your growth as a teacher and to bridge the gap between theory and practice; prepare you for the specific context where you will be placed to ensure you are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions needed to meet the needs of your students and school communities
- Ongoing clinical support, coaching, and development from our teacher residency director via classroom observation rounds, weekly seminars, and deliberate practice
- Support, coaching, and development under an experienced mentor teacher in one of our partner schools as well as administrators of the partner school
- Participate in meetings with the school principal as needed to assess your performance and the effectiveness of the program
- Provide additional support in the classroom if necessary
LTR Program Timeline (PDF)
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Pass the Praxis Core and Praxis Content Knowledge tests by deadline
- Option #1: Teacher Licensure track
- Option #2: Master of Art in Teaching track
- Monthly stipend from your service school (on a 12-month schedule)
- Retreats throughout the year
- Interaction with and support from other LTR participants
- Mentoring from your service school and CBU education faculty and staff
- Preparation for teacher licensure for the state of Tennessee
How to Apply
Please review the following information before applying. If at any time you have questions pertaining to the application process, contact the Director of Recruitment, Kamie Cowan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline for the LTR program is March 27.
Step 1: Professional Exams
Praxis Core Test: This series of tests is required for all applicants. Request scores be sent to Christian Brothers University.
- Reading Score: 156 minimal passing score
- Writing Score: 162 minimal passing score
- Math Score: 150 minimal passing score
Praxis Content Knowledge: The area of your desired licensure will determine which content knowledge test you will need to take. Visit the Tennessee test requirements, https://www.ets.org/praxis/tn/requirements.
For registration or more information on the Praxis Core Test, visit www.ets.org.
Step 2: LTR Application
Upload the following information as you complete the online application:
- Background Check and Fingerprinting Instructions (PDF)
- Resume with a list of your work experiences and extracurricular activities
- Two essays
- Philosophy of teaching
- Goals essay describing your goals in obtaining your teaching license
- Letters of recommendation: Provide email addresses for three of the following individuals:
- Professor/faculty member
- Employer or supervisor (work or volunteer experience)
- Peer (roommate, friend but NOT a family member)
- $25.00 application fee - payable to LTR, or pay online
Step 3: Official Transcripts
Request official transcript(s) from every college or university where you received credit be sent by mail or electronically to Christian Brothers University at the following address:
Christian Brothers University
Attn: LTR Program Office, Box 101
650 East Parkway South
Memphis, TN 38104
Step 4: Interview Process
Once your application has been processed, you will be contacted to come in for an interview.