REQUEST MORE INFO
Hone your skills, learn new strategies, and excel in the classroom with CBU’s master of education program. Our MEd is designed to provide advanced professional development for licensed classroom teachers and accommodate their schedules.
The program is also appropriate for others in the field of education, including community educators, professional staff and administrators at area community colleges, and trainers/developers in corporate or non-profit settings.
You may choose from two concentrations that will prepare you for leadership in curriculum development and instructional planning within schools:
- Curriculum and instruction
- Teacher leadership
Reading Specialist Endorsement
Reading specialist is one of several endorsement options within the MEd program of study or as a standalone endorsement for applicants who already hold a master's degree. Apply using the SMILA / Reading Specialist Application (PDF)
For more information or questions, please contact Dr. Richard Potts at firstname.lastname@example.org or (901) 321-3020.
The MEd requires 33 hours of coursework including leadership and education courses with electives. A capstone project is required for both MEd tracks.
- The Teacher as Leader: Renewing the Profession
- Strategies for Whole School Renewal
- The Philosophy and Ethics of Education
- Mid-Point Assessment and Portfolio Development
- Inquiry course
- Capstone project
- Elective courses
Graduate education faculty have a wealth of real life experience to share with you. Your success is of prime importance to them, and you will get all of the help and support you need.
Christian Brothers University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and approved by the State Department of Education of Tennessee as a Teacher Training Institution. CBU is a member of the National Catholic Educational Association and the Tennessee Association of Colleges.
How to Apply
Clarify your goal: if you want to stay in the classroom, the Master of Education degree is the way to go; if you are planning to go into administration, you will want to explore the MS in Educational Leadership.
Obtain the right admissions packet for your goal. Call the Education office at (901) 321-4350 if you have questions.
A complete application consists of the following:
- MEd Application
- Copy of teaching license or GRE scores
- If you have less than a 2.75 undergraduate GPA and are not a fully licensed teacher, it is suggested that you take the GRE and obtain a minimum score of 310. Scores older than 5 years will not be accepted.
- Official transcripts (with an undergraduate GPA of 2.75 minimum)
- MEd Graduate Recommendation Form (PDF)
- Philosophy of teaching essay; suggested topics include (you do not need to address all of these):
- The purpose of schooling in society
- The role of learning in the life of a person
- The educational needs of today’s students
- The kind of curriculum that is important in the 21st century
- How children and young people learn best
- What constitutes effective teaching
- The role of the teacher in today’s society
- The qualities that characterize excellence in teaching
- Challenges facing today’s schools
After a successful review of the application, you will be invited for an interview with the Graduate Education Admissions Committee.
International Student Information
For International Student Services (ISS):
Barry Hall 37, email@example.com, (901) 321-3758
For Immigration Matters:
Primary Designated School Official (PDSO)
Karen Conway, Dean of Students — Rozier Center, firstname.lastname@example.org, (901) 321-3536
The following are the minimum English proficiency scores required for consideration for admission to CBU:
- TOEFL (paper based) - 520
- TOEFL (computer based) - 185
- TOEFL (internet based) - 68
- IELTS - 5.5
- CAE - Grade C
- CPE - Grade C
All international students must:
For more information, contact the program director, Dr. Cort Casey, at email@example.com or at (901) 321-4101.