On October 2, the Board of Trustees of Christian Brothers University began the search process for the 23rd president of CBU.
The search opens following the announcement by current president John A. Smarrelli of his intention to retire at the end of the current school year. Smarrelli has served 10 years as CBU's president and leaves a lasting legacy at CBU.
About the search:
Search Committee Executive Search Profile Search Firm FAQ Provide Feedback or Submit Questions
Pre-Search Study Itinerary
Thursday, December 13
Wednesday, November 14
- Search Committee: 8:30 - 10:00 a.m.
- President: 10:15 – 11:15 a.m.
- Faculty: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Lunch/Meeting with Board of Trustees: 12:45 - 2:00 p.m.
- Students: 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
- Staff: 3:45 - 4:45 p.m. (cancelled due to weather)
- Alumni/Donors/Community Leaders: 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. (cancelled due to weather)
- Dinner or Meeting with President’s Cabinet: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Thursday, November 15
- Campus tour: 8:30 - 9:30 a.m.
- Staff: 9:45 - 10:45 a.m.
- Students: 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Lunch with Board of Trustees: 12:15 -1:30 p.m.
- Faculty: 1:45 - 2:45 p.m.
- Members of the Sponsoring Order and/or Community Leaders: 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Search Committee: 4:15 - 5:30 p.m.
Letter to the CBU Community
Dear Members of the CBU Community:
[In October,] the Board of Trustees commenced the search for the 23rd president of Christian Brothers University (CBU).
This search will be grounded in and framed by our community’s Lasallian-based core principles of faith in the presence of God; respect for all persons; inclusive community; quality education; and concern for the poor and social justice. We seek your input regarding this important step to ensure CBU’s future success, and we welcome questions you may have related to the search process.
To participate, we invite you to provide input via the confidential form on this website. This form gives you the opportunity to communicate your expectations and aspirations for what the next president of CBU should accomplish, what you see as principal challenges, the opportunities facing our University, and any specific attributes and experiences that you believe our next leader should possess. The Search Committee will review input received anonymously via the Search website and treat it as confidential communication.
The Board recognizes that selecting our next president is not only historic and momentous, but also its solemn fiduciary obligation. This is an enormous moment for the future of our University and we commit to this undertaking with the utmost faith, trust, confidence and transparency. We look forward to receiving your input.
John Mitchell Graves
Presidential Search Committee Chair, CBU Board of Trustees