The time comes each year when students need to move out of the residence halls. We hope that your time in our residential communities was comfortable, enjoyable, and educational! Please read the information below to properly check out of your residence hall room. We encourage you all to read the following information, share it with your parents/students/friends/roommate(s), and always feel that you can contact us with questions or for help if you need it.
Official Check-Out Dates:
Resident students are required to vacate campus housing within 24 hours after their last final exam or by Monday, May 7, 2018 at 6p.m., whichever comes first.
Graduating seniors and student who are authorized by the Director of Residence Life to stay for commencement may stay in halls until commencement concludes on Saturday, May 12th. However, you must be completely move out of your room and come to the Office of Student Life and sign up for a time to be checked out on the bulletin board located inside of the office no later than 5pm, Friday, May 11 (we highly encourage you to pack your belongings ahead of time). No students, other than the aforementioned, may stay past 6pm on Monday, May 7th.
What are quiet hours?
Supporting an atmosphere conducive to study is a very high priority during exam week. All residence hall floors begin 24-hour quiet hours a week before the first final exam and these will continue without interruption until Thursday, May 10th. To help maintain this environment, residents must vacate the residence halls within 24 hours after their last examination. If a resident’s conduct has been disruptive during or around finals week, the Office of Residence Life reserves the right to have that student leave the residence hall one hour after his/her final examinations are completed or immediately if disruption continues and/or the residents behavior poses a threat to the community. If a resident is required to leave, they will commute for the remainder of their finals.
How do I check out of my room?
In order to properly check out of your room, you must:
- Schedule an appointment to check out of your assignment. Come to the Office of Student Life and sign up for a time to be checked out on the bulletin board located inside of the office. This must be done at least one (1) day prior to checking out. You can only sign up on the corresponding sheet for your residence hall. At your appointment time, a member of the residence hall staff will meet you at your room to check you out. During the checkout process, the residence hall staff member will conduct an inspection of your room, noting all damages. Once the paperwork is completed, you will turn in your room key, parking hangtag, sign the Room Condition Report form (RCR) and have a great summer!
Following the closing of the halls, an Official Damage/Cleaning Inspection of all rooms will be assessed by the Director of Residence Life, Aramark and Physical Plant.
- The condition of the room will be compared with the check-in condition noted on the Room Condition Report (RCR) by the residence hall staff member
- The RA does not assess damage charges. The Resident Directors, Director of Residence Life, Aramark and Physical Plant will make room damage assessments after check-out and will charge student accounts accordingly if any damage is found or university items are missing.
- Statements made at checkout by the RA or residence hall staff member should not be misunderstood as a guarantee that the room is free from damage. The Director of Residence Life, Aramark and Physical Plant will make the final determination.
Please Note: Keys and parking hangtag must be turned in to your residence hall staff member during a check out appointment. Leaving your key with a roommate or friend is not proper procedure and will result in you being charged $50.00 for an improper check out and/or a lock change. Mailbox keys are to be returned to the Mailroom.
Please Note: Questions or concerns about charges relating to room damage must be put in writing to the Director of Residence Life at email@example.com. Not later than June 2018.
Residents Responsibilities – Room Cleaning
When you check-out of your room, it should be returned to the way you found it at the beginning of the year. The residence hall staff member will be checking rooms to make sure they are clean and check for any cleaning needed and all damages. Statements made at checkout by the RA or residence hall staff member should not be misunderstood as a guarantee that the room is free from damage. The Director of Residence Life, Aramark and Physical Plant will make the final determination. If you are the last one out of the room and your roommate didn't help you clean it, you are still responsible for making sure it is done.
The following are tasks to be completed prior to departure from the University to make the process easier (and to help you avoid any check-out charges):
Start early: Begin taking or sending items home that you will not need for the rest of the year.
- Everyone in the room/suite/apartment should conduct a thorough cleaning before the first person leaves. This way you all can guarantee that the space has been cleaned.
- As each subsequent person leaves, the remaining residents should clean again (wipe surfaces, vacuum, etc.).
- Remove all items from the building. This includes furniture, wall hangings, and other items that residents have brought into the room during the year.
- You need to vacuum the space if you have carpet, and you should move all room furniture to vacuum underneath it.
- Use a mop or Swiffer (perhaps more than once) to clean hard floor surfaces.
- Sweep the floor (not into the hallway) and place debris in the trash.
- Dusts, clean, disinfect surfaces throughout your space, including spaces under where microwaves, fridges, shelving, etc. have set all year.
- Clean your bathroom (if applicable): Floors, counters, sink, mirror, toilet, shower curtain, and shower all need to be scrubbed and clean.
- Clean your kitchen (if applicable): Fridge and freezer, oven and stove, sink, counters, and cabinets. Make sure all cabinets have their belongings removed.
- Empty trash cans/recycle bins and dispose of all trash in appropriate containers (recycle). Trash must be removed and taken to the dumpster outside of the building. Charges will be assessed for trash left in rooms, bathrooms, kitchen, etc.
- Return furnishings to their original position within the room. Make sure all items have been removed from the walls and doors. This includes any type of adhesive you have used during the academic year. Goo Gone works great, residents should plan to purchase it in advance as nearby stores will run out the week of closing.
- Don't forget to take your bike home. Bicycles left behind in racks located around the residence halls will be Campus Police and Safety.
What about Room Damage?
As outlined in the housing contract the student(s) occupying an assignment are to be jointly responsible for the protection of the unit, its furnishings and equipment, and to share in the payment for damages sustained. General building damage, floor damage and individual room damages are assessed throughout the academic year and at the time when the residence halls close.
Individuals who are identified as responsible for damage will be billed accordingly; students will be notified of any damage charges via their CBU email account.
NOTE: It is imperative that residents continue to check their CBU email account even once the semester ends. All damages to common facilities or common areas within a room or unit will be shared by the student(s) who reside in that room/unit.
The Office of Residence Life wants to provide you with a few handy cleaning tips so that you can leave your room in tip top shape prior to checking out for the semester. We don't want you to be billed for damages or uncleanliness. We created the following attachements so that you can clean early and have your room pass inspection when you check out with a staff member:
The last meal on the meal plan is Lunch Monday, May 7, 2018 until 1:30pm.
Storage is NOT available on campus during the summer; however, there are local storage facilities in the area!
Undergraduates must check out no later than 24 hours after their last final exam or by Monday, May 7, 2018 at 6p.m., whichever comes first.
Graduating Seniors must check out no later than Saturday, May 12th at 5pm.
Finally, travel safe and have a fantastic summer break!