Enter your search term & enter. Esc or X to close.

Student Complaint Procedure

Christian Brothers University encourages students to be fully active inside and outside the classroom for a well-rounded educational experience. With this in mind, the university urges all of its students to read the student handbook, The Compass, and to familiarize themselves with CBU policies and regulations that are in place for both the academic and non-academic aspects of student life.

The University advises students who wish to file a complaint to follow the procedure listed in the student handbook.

If after exhausting all the proper resolution channels available on campus, the complaint has not been resolved, the student may file a consumer complaint with any of the following accrediting agencies:

  • Complaints relating to quality of education or accreditation requirements shall be referred to the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (SACS).
  • Complaints related to the application of state laws or rules related to approval to operate or licensure of a particular professional program within a postsecondary institution shall be referred to the appropriate State Board (i.e., State Boards of Health, State Board of Education, and so on) within the Tennessee State Government and shall be reviewed and handled by that licensing board (, and then search for the appropriate division).
  • Complaints related to state consumer protection laws (e.g., laws related to fraud or false advertising) shall be referred to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and shall be reviewed and handled by that Unit (
  • Complaint Resolution Policies and Procedures for Non-Tennessee Resident Students in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement States, commonly known as SARA.

Student complaints relating to consumer protection laws that involve distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), must first be filed with the institution to seek resolution.

Complainants not satisfied with the outcome of the Institution’s internal process may appeal, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (

For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of SARA or the laws, standards or regulations incorporated by the SARA Policies and Standards ( have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of SARA.

For a list of SARA member States, please visit the NC-SARA website. Students residing in non-SARA states should consult their respective State of residence for further instruction for filing a complaint. For a list of state-by-state agencies, please click here.